Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable release pin suddenly too short!

Cable release pin suddenly too short!

I have several cable release things for my 4x5 camera. On two of them, the pin sticks out about 1/4" when you press the button. Usually, that's enough to trigger the shutter on the lens. Today, that cable release worked two or three times, and then suddenly the pin was not quite long enough to trigger the shutter! I tried all sorts of adjustments but nothing worked. Finally I went home and got the cable release with the extra long pin, and that worked.

Why would this suddenly happen? Both of the cable releases with 1/4" pins did NOT work. So it's probably not something wrong with the cable release. For some reason, the shutter suddenly seems to "require" a longer pin. I thought this might have to do with heat or humidity, so after the camera had been inside for a few hours, I tried again with the regular cable release. It still doesn't work.

Is this a known issue? Or is this just weird?

--shannon stoney

Re: Cable release pin suddenly too short!

What brand of shutter are you using?

If it's the cable release, sometimes the outer jacket stretches, or there can be a tiny break on the ends or middle that slightly expands the jacket leaving a shorter throw tip for the shutter and plunger action...

The tip can sometimes slightly miss the flat spot inside the shutter release where it contacts the cable tip (due to slight bending)... This would have to be fixed by a repair person...

Good luck!!!

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by shannonstoney View Post
    I have several cable release things for my 4x5 camera. On two of them, the pin sticks out about 1/4" when you press the button. Usually, that's enough to trigger the shutter on the lens. Today, that cable release worked two or three times, and then suddenly the pin was not quite long enough to trigger the shutter!
    Stuff happens. Maybe the lever inside the shutter shifted or the sheath is damaged.

Stock up with releases as you can. I have been lucky that way (picture).

haha! Looks like you have plenty.

I decided to buy a cable release with a longer "throw." Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    If it's the cable release, sometimes the outer jacket stretches, or there can be a tiny break on the ends or middle that slightly expands the jacket leaving a shorter throw tip for the shutter and plunger action...

The tip can sometimes slightly miss the flat spot inside the shutter release where it contacts the cable tip (due to slight bending)... This would have to be fixed by a repair person...

Good luck!!!

Steve K
    I think it is the cable release rather than the shutter, because I tried these cable releases on two other shutters, and the same thing happened. They must be getting old or something.

Quote Originally Posted by shannonstoney View Post
    haha! Looks like you have plenty.
    It is because I lose them so often. Gosh only knows why, but now I keep spares, one stored up inside the tripod column, a couple in the truck... Recently I revisited a site and there was one of my releases in the grass. I'm such a klutz!

Glad you got it sorted out.

It's probably the outer sleeve on the release separating from the end of the cable and thus shortening the amount of cable protruding into the shutter. Try this: just stretch the outer sleeve towards the edge of the cable and then try it, see if that helps. I've had it happen even w long throw releases on ilex shutters which need the extra length.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    It is because I lose them so often. Gosh only knows why, but now I keep spares, one stored up inside the tripod column, a couple in the truck... Recently I revisited a site and there was one of my releases in the grass. I'm such a klutz!

Glad you got it sorted out.
    I think that cable releases disappear to the same place where lens caps go. Probably some alternative dimension or something.