Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First LF camera

First LF camera

Hello,

Lately I'm in contact with a seller with a huge amount of cameras who has this camera, I think its a Linhof Technika II after a internet digging.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1887.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	179433

Name:	IMG_1888.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	179434

Name:	IMG_1889.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	179435

Name:	IMG_1891.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	179436

It uses old film holders (wooden) 9x12 that are placed between the focusing glass (which can be taken back) and the camera body.
    Anyone from the forum has experience with this camera or film holders?

Is it worthy?
    Could I put a 6x9 roll film holder on this camera (there are no rails to place it)?
    Or should I try something more versatile as a Graflex Graphic (4x5) or a classical 9x12 plate folding camera?

Any advice given it will be appreciated, thank you in advance.
    Alex

Re: First LF camera

Look for a Technika lV, or newer. At least those have a Graflok back and uses common lensboards!

Quote Originally Posted by alexvaras View Post
    Hello,

Lately I'm in contact with a seller with a huge amount of cameras who has this camera, I think its a Linhof Technika II after a internet digging.
    [...]

Is it worthy?
    Avoid. Keep looking.

Suggest you start with something like a Sinar F1/F2 or any Sinar model, easy to use, plenty of parts and plenty of worldwide followers - note, they are the standard 4 x 5 format and not the smaller 9 x 12 - 4 x 5 film is readily available worldwide but 9 x 12 isn't. Also you can use most roll film backs with the Sinar

good luck

Andrew

If you are mostly doing studio work or setting up for specific location shoots, then a monorail like Andrew is suggesting will be the most versatile and stay the most relevant to you as you grow to use more movements.
    That said, I think there’s a lot to to be appreciated in the portability of a field or press camera with some movements for a begginer (like me). They let you shoot a little more like you’re used to, while diping your toes into LF. They perserve some of the spontinaity that’s hard with a monorail, even the fairly portable ones (I only dragged my monorail up the side of a mountain once, Though it is old and heavy compared to the Sinars).
    So to me the question is how will it be used? Are you taking pensive still lifes, or architectural photos that require significant perspective correction? Or are you looking for something to take hiking deep into the bush, or exploring your urban environment?
    Both can do portraits, but a monorail will likely allow you to use the longest lenses if that’s your thing.
    Either way, I agree in avoiding non standard formats, in this case 4x5 is probably the way to go, lots of availability for film and equipment and development if you don’t want to soup yourself. I think a big thing here is to make it as easy and fun as possible to shoot LF so that you’ll want to keep doing it, and 9x12 is going to make it a struggle.

Thank you all for he advices, I already discarded that camera I presented.
    So 4x5 will be, I want it light, that for sure.
    What kind of photo I do? I like to do portraits, in winter time I go to parks and shoot the snowy landscapes or just a tree, walk around the city and shoot some buildings.

Today I saw a Nagaoka 4x5, pics below.

Name:	IMG_2001.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	179612 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2002.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	179611 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1992.JPG 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	179609 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1996.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	179610

Bellows ok (checked), all the knobs work fine, close and open fine, focus fine, the back is 4x5 standard, we tried a film holder and roll film holder as well, all good. It seems good to my eyes.
    The camera is offered for about $370, only the body plus the Horseman back.
    One lens Fujinon w 5.6/180mm for about $160 (1 second seems a bit larger, 1/2 seconds same but closer) Is this shutter difficult to open, clean, etc? I have experience with compur and synchro-compur ones from my folding cameras.
    Another lens to choose can be 90mm, can't remember which one... the one with Linhof written on it I think. For the same price.

He has a Sinar F1 and comparing to it I would prefer the wooden one, lighter and nicer (to me)

What else should I check next visit?
    Is it a good deal? I pushed already.
    All kind of advices are welcome.

Thank you,
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by alexvaras View Post
    Today I saw a Nagaoka 4x5, pics below.

Name:	IMG_2001.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	179612 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2002.JPG 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	179611 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1992.JPG 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	179609 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1996.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	179610

Bellows ok (checked), all the knobs work fine, close and open fine, focus fine, the back is 4x5 standard, we tried a film holder and roll film holder as well, all good. It seems good to my eyes.
    The camera is offered for about $370, only the body plus the Horseman back.
    One lens Fujinon w 5.6/180mm for about $160 (1 second seems a bit larger, 1/2 seconds same but closer) Is this shutter difficult to open, clean, etc? I have experience with compur and synchro-compur ones from my folding cameras.
    Another lens to choose can be 90mm, can't remember which one... the one with Linhof written on it I think. For the same price.

He has a Sinar F1 and comparing to it I would prefer the wooden one, lighter and nicer (to me)

What else should I check next visit?
    Is it a good deal? I pushed already.
    All kind of advices are welcome.

Did you put the camera in a closet, closed the door, removed the back and put a flashlight inside the bellows to check for light leaks? Or did you just try to visually check the bellows?

Thank you,
    Alex
    Did you put the camera in a closet, closed the door, removed the back and put a flashlight inside the bellows to check for light leaks? Or did you just try to visually check the bellows?
    Last edited by Bob Salomon; 21-Jun-2018 at 14:56.

That seems like a pretty nice price for the Nagoka

Hello Bob, yes I did as I do with my foldings and I will do it again for longer time the next visit just in case something escaped my eyes. I did a 360 circle and looking for microholes, but sometimes a very specific hole is discovered by placing the light in a certain way and looking for one determined angle, I dont want a bellows nightmare, I got one with Pearl III and I gave up.
    Thanks for the tip Sanford.