Thread: 150mm Mamiya-Press lens covers 4x5", but not straight forward to adapt

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

150mm Mamiya-Press lens covers 4x5", but not straight forward to adapt

Hi, Just a quick note to share that - the older chrome Seikosha 150mm Mamiya-Sekor lens at least - covers 4x5" nicely. I managed to put it onto a Toyo/Linhof board without too much hassle, see pic.
    I had bought it mint on a damaged/disassembled focus mount, cheap, for parts. Not thinking much of it, I nevertheless thought I'll try it on my 5x7" to check what the image circle might be.

I had to cut the end-plate off the (already damaged) helix and then screw that onto a (Copal #1(!)-sized) board, then remount the lens. The Seikosha-S shutter is not standard Copal #0 in all respects, but has that custom, built-in preview and cable relase mechanism subassembly, making the Copal 1 board easier to use, to allow for recessed retaining-ring access.

Anyway.... It turned out that good image circle is in excess of 170mm wide open, making it very similar in capability e.g. to the Schneider Xenar and thus fine to use for 4x5" with modest movements. Images have a lovely look with excellent contrast handling; filter thread is 40.5mm and the coating and color rendering look about the same as on one of my other Tessar-type favourites, the Komura-Commercial 210mm, f/6.3. Normally not that prone to gear-adulation, I nevertheless think that it is quite a lovely lens; a keeper for now.

That's all, folks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180616_124519.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	179446
    Last edited by Carsten Wolff; 15-Jun-2018 at 20:40.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

Re: 150mm Mamiya-Press lens covers 4x5", but not straight forward to adapt

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Wolff View Post
    Hi, Just a quick note to share that - the older chrome Seikosha 150mm Mamiya-Sekor lens at least - covers 4x5" nicely. I managed to put it onto a Toyo/Linhof board without too much hassle, see pic.
    I had bought it mint on a damaged/disassembled focus mount, cheap, for parts. Not thinking much of it, I nevertheless thought I'll try it on my 5x7" to check what the image circle might be.

I had to cut the end-plate off the (already damaged) helix and then screw that onto a (Copal #1(!)-sized) board, then remount the lens. The Seikosha-S shutter is not standard Copal #0 in all respects, but has that custom, built-in preview and cable relase mechanism subassembly, making the Copal 1 board easier to use, to allow for recessed retaining-ring access.

Anyway.... It turned out that good image circle is in excess of 170mm wide open, making it very similar in capability e.g. to the Schneider Xenar and thus fine to use for 4x5" with modest movements. Images have a lovely look with excellent contrast handling; filter thread is 40.5mm and the coating and color rendering look about the same as on one of my other Tessar-type favourites, the Komura-Commercial 210mm, f/6.3. Normally not that prone to gear-adulation, I nevertheless think that it is quite a lovely lens; a keeper for now.

That's all, folks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180616_124519.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	179446
    Thanks mate, for this.

I came across an interesting Toyo (back)+Mamiya (press 23 body Mout front) "fusion" camera.

The 150 vignettes on 4x5 on this; sure sounds like it's the lens barrel, not the lens itself.

And, that could explain why people are on both right "the camera won;t cover 4x5" AND "the lens covers 4x5"

i'll try to get some of the baffling out and see how it works out.

It's a tessar design, so it makes sense that it covers the format. Also good to know for sure though.

I'd expect that later version of the lens the the black Seiko shutter rather than the Seikosha-S shutter would be far easier to mount.
    Those ones have standard #0 threads with a retaining ring and everything.
    Last edited by MAubrey; 1-Mar-2020 at 19:07.

I fiddled with this years ago. They are such fine lenses. The 127 4.7 should also cover. The 250 being a true tele-photo does not. Nor does the 75 f5.6 or either of the 105's.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    I fiddled with this years ago. They are such fine lenses. The 127 4.7 should also cover. The 250 being a true tele-photo does not. Nor does the 75 f5.6 or either of the 105's.
    Great info there, thank you, Jim.
    .... I had been tempted to try a 250mm (as a possible option for 5x7" portraits), but shall give that a miss then.
    (In the 250mm line-up, Mamiya also made an Apo-version (7 elements in 5 groups vs the 5-in-4 ilk), but that may also well be a tele-design ....and not cheap enough for me to try to adapt in any case...).
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."