Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest Sectional Frames and Acrylic for Temporary Display

Cheapest Sectional Frames and Acrylic for Temporary Display

Needed to buy some basic black sectional frames this week for display purposes. There's a Hobby Lobby up the road from me, and generally they cost 50 cents per inch - plus they have a 40% coupon for one item that works every day. They are clearly not as nice as Nielsen or similar knock-off frames, but they do fine for temporary display in certain situations. They feel like cheaper metal or perhaps a different alloy.

Is there anywhere online that sells these basic sectional frames cheaper? Looking around tonight I found only framesbymail.com which is just a tad bit cheaper at base price - but if I only need one set Hobby Lobby is cheaper due to that coupon. Again, I'm not looking for higher-end frames like the metal Nielsen, which I have used many times for more formal showings. Instead, this would be a temporary solution to help display prints for sale that the buyer would then buy their own frame to match their decor, or would be okay for someone looking for a cheap and cheerful framing solution immediately.

Secondly, would anyone have suggestions on the cheapest source for large acrylic sheets that one could cut to size. This I haven't researched much, but I've found 24x48 clear acrylic online for $26. I bought that size today at Home Depot for $34, so clearly it is cheaper online, perhaps more so elsewhere. I used that size to cut two 20x24 sheets out of it, which saved a lot of money compared to cut-to-size glass (and not as heavy!).

Basically I'm wondering if there's anything cheaper than about $30 for a 20x24 sectional frame + acrylic, orderable online. The other issue with Hobby Lobby is they don't carry a lot of stock so they ran out of 24" sectional pieces .
    Last edited by Corran; 13-Jun-2018 at 08:52.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Cheapest Sectional Frames and Acrylic for Temporary Display

I hope you find the price you seek.

Please let us know if you do. Shipping is driving prices up.

The only way I found cheaper was a pile of used sections without glazing.

Recently found a 36x48” heavy wood frame at Goodwill for $6. Paint will fix it.

Robert Bowring

Try Contemporary Frame Company. Lots of frame styles and good prices. Been using them for years. Very pleasant people to work with if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by hornstenj View Post
    “frame destination” is online ...
    Thanks, I looked and with bulk pricing it does get just a bit cheaper than framesbymail normally, but also at the moment framesbymail has a coupon so they're slightly cheaper. I will keep them in mind next time and check.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Shipping is driving prices up.
    Very true. I haven't checked everywhere, but many places give free shipping past a certain amount which really helps. Unfortunately, not the two I just mentioned though as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bowring View Post
    Try Contemporary Frame Company. Lots of frame styles and good prices. Been using them for years. Very pleasant people to work with if you have any questions.
    Ah yes I know about Contemporary, unfortunately their website is broken and has been broken for years I think and I can't get prices. Perhaps they are cheaper, as they do have a "store-brand" metal frame.

I am really surprised there is not an artist's outlet store of some type where those who know what they need can just order bulk sectional frames and large acrylic pieces. Almost all the online frame shops are marketed towards people who don't know how to buy frames with tips and guides and all that. Perhaps the margins are already so slim it's not needed - I just figured these metal sectionals are coming on a boat from overseas at 5 cents an inch or something. I could be wrong.

Thank you for sharing.
    Relicase is a professional museum showcases and museum display cases manufacturer, including Custom, Free standing, Wall, Table top display cases and more.
    http://www.relicase.com/

These guys have an in-house aluminum frame that is so similar to Nielsen that I suspect it probably is. The molding and corners for a 16x20 P1 style will set you back about $13.50. Shipping makes the plexi they sell a bit pricey, so I get that at my local HW store.

https://framingsupplies-shop.com/
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Have you already checked out Binders or Dick Blick?

A lot of people use display bags. I was recently gifted a 16X20 FB BW print hot pressed onto 22X28 mat board that must have been in the bag for 30 years. Looks new and perfect. Ready for framing.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/b...-storage-bags/

Display bags are great. I am using Archival Method bags for all prints at art festivals. B&H and Adorama has them at competitive prices.

This latest request is because I have found a gallery to show/sell work at and they requested the wall pieces to be framed in a simple manner. Bagged prints will be in a display rack, as is typical.

Michael, thanks for the suggestion of framingsupplies-shop.com. That website is truly terrible, but through the search function I did finally find the P-1 product you mentioned (you have to search w/ the dash btw). These frames are indeed a bit cheaper than elsewhere, so that is good!

Gary, I looked again at Dick Blick and they have Nielsen frames that are really expensive - twice as much as the above mentioned online retailer. All of the mainline retailers have about the same prices. The cheaper stuff is generally the Nielsen knock-offs from smaller retailers.

A gallery get's a lot of 'touchers'. Some galleries supply frames...

I'd use plain window glass for glazing. Easiest to clean. Cheap if you cut it yourself.

I don't prefer glass, but it's cheap.

In my smoke-free home, I hang some of my work with no glazing. Looks best that way for me. The 20-year-old FB prints look as new.