Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Average Spot Metering Question

Average Spot Metering Question

My usual method is to meter the shadows, meter the highlights, workout the brightness range and then adjust development if the brightness range is above 5 stops.

For example, if the brightness range is 6 stops then I do N-1 development.

Question:
    If I was to meter the shadows, meter the highlights and then make an exposure at the average of the two, what is actually happening. What I mean is, how will the tones be distributed.

Re: Average Spot Metering Question

Theoretically, the average meter reading value would be Zone V middle gray. All other luminance values would distribute along the curve. When shooting transparency film, that’s my basic metering technique; though I will scan the scene to determine the EV differences from the average, then adjust my exposure accordingly, if needed.

Meter the palm of your hand. Open up one stop. Set it in the lens and take the picture. Of course some would rather have discussions about meter readings than actually take pictures
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 10-Jun-2018 at 16:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Theoretically, the average meter reading value would be Zone V middle gray. All other luminance values would distribute along the curve. When shooting transparency film, that’s my basic metering technique; though I will scan the scene to determine the EV differences from the average, then adjust my exposure accordingly, if needed.
    So if the brightest area is 2 stops brighter than the average and contains detail you want to preserve, you would then open up your exposure by 2 stops.
    Have I understood you correctly Alan

I've never 'averaged' meter readings. I metered shadows and exposed for them. I metered highlights and midtones and decided on proper development for those. If the final print wasn't expected to have a long tonal range then I usually gave a little extra exposure to pull the low tones off the toe.

I think that, with the info that the OP presented, there is not an exact answer. Which shadow? How deep? Which highlight? How bright? The range of luminances might be 3 stops, or might be 6, etc.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Quote Originally Posted by IanBarber View Post
    If I was to meter the shadows, meter the highlights and then make an exposure at the average of the two, what is actually happening. What I mean is, how will the tones be distributed.
    Easy enough to find out -- this is what digicams do. That is, this is what your average smart phone does.

That said, one of the prime reasons to do LF in the first place, at least for me, is control. If you aren't trying to get the most out of your film (nailing the exposure, nailing the development), then why are you going through all the time, expense, and frustration of LF?

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Collins View Post
    I think that, with the info that the OP presented, there is not an exact answer. Which shadow? How deep? Which highlight? How bright? The range of luminances might be 3 stops, or might be 6, etc.
    Sorry, I ought to have mentioned some readings.

Shadows = EV 10.5 (bunch of trees)
    Highlights = EV 18 ( sky with wispy clouds)

So if the brightest area is 2 stops brighter than the average and contains detail you want to preserve, you would then open up your exposure by 2 stops.
    Have I understood you correctly Alan
    Well...my comments are, of course, based on my Sekonic L-558. Also, I should mention that I use a calibrated Pentax Digital Spot meter when shooting B&W. The Sekonic I use strictly for the little bit of color work that I do.

I meter a shadow area where I want to preserve detail, and then store that reading. I meter a highlight (high value) area where I wish to preserve detail, and then store that reading. Then, I press the "Avg" button. I know that this meter will give me good high values up to about +2.5 stops over the average, and good shadows down to about -2.5 stops under the average. This is about a 5 stop range which is pretty much the limit of the Velvia 50 or Provia 100 that I shoot. Before I expose any film, I will hold in the metering button and scan the scene watching the EV difference from the average. If I don't find any other highlight and/or shadow area that falls beyond that -2.5 to +2.5 range, then I twirl the wheel to obtain the aperture I wish to shoot at, set the exposure accordingly, and expose. If I find an area outside the aforementioned range--lets say I scan across a shadow area that reads -3.0 EV that I care about (who knows why I didn't see that area in the first place!)--then I adjust my average reading accordingly and expose. This is all way more difficult to write about than it is to do...

Sorry, I ought to have mentioned some readings.

Shadows = EV 10.5 (bunch of trees)
    Highlights = EV 18 ( sky with wispy clouds)
    I was going to mention in my post above about scenes that are beyond normal SBR (subject brightness range.) EV 18 clouds?! Wow!! I've never measured a cloud value beyond EV 17 and I live in the desert!! I guess when y'all get clouds in the UK them frickin things are BRIGHT!! Are you sure your meter is accurate?

Anyway, based on these readings you're looking at a tremendous brightness range. Forget holding all that with transparency film. Color neg might be OK; those with experience shooting color neg might weigh in. For B&W, if you placed the 10.5 on Zone III or IV, then you would definitely need minus development if using a standard film developer. Using pyro and some sort of compensating development technique, you might be OK as it stands.