Thread: Quick Release for Gitzo G1570M

Question Quick Release for Gitzo G1570M

Hi all,
    I am the happy user of a Chamonix 810v and a Gitzo G1570M low profile head.
    The only thing I am not happy with is having to screw it everytime.
    I use 2 screws as I think they give definitive stability to the torsion of the camera on the head specially when inserting the film holder in.
    I am now looking for a quick release adapter that would have at least 2 screws (one 3/8 and one 1/4 in line) and that would be big enough to take advantage of the whole area of the plate of the camera but also possible to use it (lock/unlock) with the camera/head I am using.
    Please also take into consideration that gitzo screws have the plastic gears.
    Any experience and advice is welcome

Re: Quick Release for Gitzo G1570M

Kessler Crane Kwik Release Receiver - it has a double locking system.
    Kessler Crane Kwik Utility Plate - larger than their camera plate.
    Use the above with my 11x14 Chamonix with 100% confidence.
    Greg

Hi Sergio!

I've been using a similar Gitzo tripod head, the 1370, for 18 years and I'm using a quick release Arca Swiss (A/S) classic clamp screwed on top of the Gitzo platform.
    Both 1370 and 1570 heads share the same large platform covered with cork, which is so convenient.

The A/S clamp is screwed on top of the Gitzo platform.
    At the time, I had chosen a model of Arca Swiss clamp with a 3/8"-16 screw, but the smaller 1/4"-20 is certainly as strong as the bigger one.
    Actually I have both Gitzo screws, the 1/4" and the 3/8".
    Actually the Gitzo screw is made of brass, only the large "ears" of those manualy-operated screws is made of plastic. Never broke in 18 years!

I hardly ever unscrew my Arca Swiss clamp from the Gitzo platform, since I have equipped most of my cameras with an A/S classic dovetail plate.
    I can't imagine to attach a LF camera to the Gitzo platform with anything but a quick-release plate !

Thanks guys!
    I kind of like the Kessler Crane Kwik Release.
    Another option I "self suggest" is cutting the back of the G1570M base plate so I could leave screwed on the 2 screws and slide them in easily.
    Somebody did it

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I use the Kessler Crane with my G1570M head for my 8x20 and 11x14.

Thanks everyone for their contributions!
    Wanted to just say I ended up getting a smallrig quickrelease https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-ar...pack-1817.html
    More readily available than Kessler here in Italy...

Ive just stumbled across this thread, I have been fighting getting my 8x10 Chamonix onto this Gitzo G1570M head for over a year now............I just ordered the Kessier Crane set.......cant wait for it to arrive

Neil
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by sergiofigliolia View Post
    Thanks guys!
    I kind of like the Kessler Crane Kwik Release.
    Another option I "self suggest" is cutting the back of the G1570M base plate so I could leave screwed on the 2 screws and slide them in easily.
    Somebody did it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-jXeJtw_24
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    In the 1980s mounted my Rollei SL-66 on to the tripod using Rollei's quick release. Tripod and camera were in the middle of a stream. Minutes later from shore watched the camera slide off of the quick release into the stream. Since then have always used quick releases with double locking systems.

It is my opinion that if a camera is heavy enough to need to sit on a gitzo g1570, a quick release will introduce issues. I hold my 8x10 deardorff vertically after tilting my gitzo g1370 platform fully forward to a vertical position. eyeball the screw into the hole and tighten the metal part finger tight. then rotate the camera 30 degrees counterclockwise, and tighten the plastic part of the screw to snug. Tilt the camera back to level and rotate it back clockwise the 30 degrees from before. its tight and secure, but you will still be able to remove it with only fingers. The g1370 m head has always been sufficient for 8x10.

I realize there are some BIG cameras that would be hard to hold up with one hand while turning the platform screw as outlined in my process.