Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: t-max 100 alternative

Drew Wiley

Re: t-max 100 alternative

TMX is steeper at the bottom of the curve than Delta 100. So if you expect analogous deep shadow separation, Delta needs more exposure in the shadows, so I rate it a full stop slower (ASA50), instead of the full box speed of TMX. Otherwise, both can be developed to a relatively high contrast gamma with similar grain structure, though Delta seems to have a tad more edge acutance. Specific spectral or filter response is quite different. As per FP4, it's quite versatile; but all these films are a somewhat slow for the combination of small f-stops and slower shutter speeds typical of 8x10 work. I find myself either choosing less windy days for outdoor shooting, or reaching for TMY400 - an absolutely wonderful 8x10 film, but alas, also expensive.

General assertions similar to the comments above relating to density relationships relating to a particular film are a function of the developer and developing technique being deployed and (fortunately) can change dramatically as a function of changing the developer and developing techniques deployed. For example, ABC Pyro is notorious for loss of film speed necessary to maintain sufficient shadow detail. But the sacrifice in film speed is higher accutance within the mid tones. On the other side of the spectrum is Pyrocat HD in a Reduced Agitation Development regime that can substantively change the film curve of FP4+ at full box speed and seemingly unlimited high end density for N+3 development (which you simply cannot attain with conventional developers and processes) as well as managing N-3 scenes without fear. The density curve is shifted in a favorable photographic way to attain what seemed impossible and as a result, the economic necessity of not being held hostage of Kodak is a blessing in disguise. I hear photographers that are dialed into the way they have done things for X number of years that simply cannot consider new processes that can take them to a new level. Personally, I feel whatever I can deploy to attain optimal results in print tonalities I am open to try. I like to have a tool box of options to consider as a photographer and being able to wring exemplary performance out of a film like FP4+ is a no brained from my perspective. As I convey to my consulting clientiel, what is your objective and what are you willing to do to attain it? The choice is yours.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by consummate_fritterer View Post
    Nope... Acros is NLA.
    To quote Freddy Mercury, "another one bites the dust..."
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Kodak T_max was marketed as a "fine grain" for roll film formats like 35mm. With sheet film at no more than 2 to 4x enlargement, grain size or configuration becomes a non-issue and overall print tonality and rendition is FAR better than prints made from roll film at 10x or more.

Ilford FP-4 would be the suggested replacement and IMO a better film than T-max 100. My preference is to use a high acutance developer that increases film grain edge effects with no consideration to grain size or shape. Works well for enlargements from 5x7 film to 10x14 or 14.5x20_ish.

Bernice

Bernice

Drew Wiley

TMax 100 has commendable attributes besides small grain. Greater linearity than FP4 for one thing. It is far more amenable to predictable deep contrast filtration, specifically with tri-color work. The very fine grain is nice for certain kinds of portraiture. I find the edge effect too soft for landscape work, where
    both the speed and more pronounced edge effect of TMY400 are preferable. Try taking shots of brightly lit glistening snow or ice atop black volcanic rocks
    with deep deep shadow texture - easily 12 stops of range; FP4 or ACROS or Delta just can't handle things like that without some kind of tonality trade-off in compression development. And now with both Super-XX and Bergger 200 gone, TMax is as good as it's gonna get for extreme contrast work. (I gave up on
    Foma 200 due to quality-control issues.)

IMHO would choose FP4. Although not tabular grain, has very nice tone scale and good sharpness, I use it with Willi Beutler .

Great Answer Michael! My thoughts exactly.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Great Answer Michael! My thoughts exactly.
    Mine as well.

Mine as well, also. +1

Drew Wiley

Ridiculous. It's like asking a trumpet player if he'll be happy with a trombone instead. I can't stand either of those, while I do happen to like both FP4 and
    TMax film, but for different reasons. Sometimes economics is one of the factors involved.