Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Strobes vs Continuous Lighting with MF and LF?

Re: Strobes vs Continuous Lighting with MF and LF?

While (IMHO) strobes are technically better, if one wants an intimate deal with subject to get some expression (IMHO) then continuous light provides perhaps a less agressive environment, allowing to develop a better approach.

The drawback is that we can get motion blur...

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    While (IMHO) strobes are technically better, if one wants an intimate deal with subject to get some expression (IMHO) then continuous light provides perhaps a less agressive environment, allowing to develop a better approach.

The drawback is that we can get motion blur...
    Unless, of course, you have professional quality strobes!

Jim Noel is serious about trying 5 watts incandescent. I have.

I also read and tried William Mortensen lighting. Single bare bulb...

Look up how Mortensen did it. He was hated and shunned by Ansel Adams and revered by me. Damn F64!

Overview. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Mortensen
    Tin Can

Check out Timothy Greenfield-Sanders' work. He shoots studio portraits in 8x10. If you're serious about portraiture with artificial light, I'd recommend taking a workshop or class to get started.

Since the OP referred to portraits, I'll speak specifically to that. (I wouldn't use strobes for still life but that's my preference.)
    Remember, the larger the light source the softer the light. Soft light doesn't mean you will not have shadows, but rather, the transition from highlight to shadow will be softer or "smokey". The smaller the light source, the harder the shadows (a distinct edge.) There's been some great advice on this thread, and I can only share my opinion and experience. If you truly want to learn portraiture in the studio I would suggest in investing in one professional strobe with a softbox (or octabox). It's the softbox that turns a small light source (the strobe head) into a larger light source. Some of the world's greatest portraits were made with one light.
    Continuous lights (fresnels) are not as powerful as a strobe when comparing output $ for $. If you really learn and practice strobe lighting, you can make it indistinguishable from beautiful window light and drastically increase your shutter speed. Moreover, you'll have the flexibility of stopping down or shooting paper negs (or Harman's direct positive) with a strobe (as opposed to very long shutter speeds with natural light or hot lights).
    Remember again, the only thing a softbox, octabox, umbrella, beauty dish, etc. do is make the light source larger. I have an octabox in my arsenal that's over 6 feet wide for a Profoto head. Really soft light.
    Lastly, the only significant difference in shooting LF with strobes vs. using a DSLR is the need for a handheld light meter. One YouTube video and you'd be off and running with a handheld meter.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by mvanderaa; 2-Mar-2019 at 23:42.

Want to do it on the cheap? Check eBay and the like for Metz CT strobes. A ton of power, big bomb proof batteries and prices less than a cup of "designer coffee" at times.
    Work with soft boxes and lighting controls.

If you want hot lights check out Lowel Lights. Get Ross Lowell's book MATTERS OF LIGHT AND DEPTH as it can help with creative lighting.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

For continuous lighting, LEDs have some great qualities. With LF, they are mainly limited to wide apertures and fast film, at least for portraiture, and they will generally be useful for lighting a small area, such as a head-and-shoulders portrait rather than a large set. These will be arriving today: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I'll be happy to report back after I've used them a bit.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Ah some good thoughts with both the Metz stuff and LED panels. I ended up getting a Godox/Flashpoint SK400 and a larger octobox than the one I had before. Rather happy with it - the octobox is still perhaps a bit small for full length portraits - I have shoot through umbrellas to try as well (but haven't had the chance yet). The SK400 is pretty damned powerful though I'm still learning a bit how to use it over my small shoe-mount strobes. Since it works with the Godox wireless transmitter, it's been much easier to use since I control the power from the transmitter - that REALLY helped.

I'm still figuring things out though. I'm starting to notice in general shooting bellows draw is a bigger deal than I thought it was - I was previously only accounting for that when the draw was obvious but I noticed using the Reciprocity App on my phone than even somewhat short draw, like 190mm, is enough to warrant compensation (according to the app anyway). That might explain why my LF shots look different than my digital using the same settings (other than the DOF and other things of course). Part of that could be film vs digital as well since of course there will be differences, but bellows is something I'll be measuring in my next portrait session for sure.

Back to the flash, I think it will do a good job for 400 speed films but I suspect it might still be a tad challenging to use a 100 speed film in all situations. Quite a few films available in 400 for sure, though being able to use, say, TMX or the new CHS ii (I just got a box of it whee!) would be nice. It's doable with the flash but at least the last time I shot portraits I did feel like I was still limited on what apertures I could use.

Tin Can

Yeah, digital tends to be more sensitive than film at a given rating, i.e. 100 speed film versus 100 ISO digital. Godox makes very usable equipment.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know