Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strobes vs Continuous Lighting with MF and LF?

Question Strobes vs Continuous Lighting with MF and LF?

I never have been great a portraits but would like to step up my game a bit and start practising studio type work. Seems like portraits in LF would be amazingly fun. I have a Nikon SB-800 I've used for years, though moreso for fill flashes and stuff and not for studio portraits. It doesn't have a sync so I'd have to use some sort of wireless sync (which is a good idea anyway I suppose).

Since I only have one though, I was thinking maybe about getting a continuous lighting setup instead especially given CFL and LED options. Digital may have a leg up here for high ISO sensitivity. I was thinking I'd probably use HP5 a good deal so I could push it to 1600 or 3200 there. But trying some other emulsions might be fun too for portraits (e.g. Pancro 400, or perhaps Portra 400). I was also thinking I would be using larger apertures for a shallower DOF. This would be with 4x5 at the moment.

I poked around the forums and ran into [url="http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?137587-Continuous-Lighting/page2"]this/[url] post which goes into equipment, but doesn't mention much about when strobes or continuous lighting are the better fit for a particular application.

Thoughts?

Re: Strobes vs Continuous Lighting with MF and LF?

Quote Originally Posted by m00dawg View Post
    I never have been great a portraits but would like to step up my game a bit and start practising studio type work. Seems like portraits in LF would be amazingly fun. I have a Nikon SB-800 I've used for years, though moreso for fill flashes and stuff and not for studio portraits. It doesn't have a sync so I'd have to use some sort of wireless sync (which is a good idea anyway I suppose).

Since I only have one though, I was thinking maybe about getting a continuous lighting setup instead especially given CFL and LED options. Digital may have a leg up here for high ISO sensitivity. I was thinking I'd probably use HP5 a good deal so I could push it to 1600 or 3200 there. But trying some other emulsions might be fun too for portraits (e.g. Pancro 400, or perhaps Portra 400). I was also thinking I would be using larger apertures for a shallower DOF. This would be with 4x5 at the moment.

I poked around the forums and ran into [url="http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?137587-Continuous-Lighting/page2"]this/[url] post which goes into equipment, but doesn't mention much about when strobes or continuous lighting are the better fit for a particular application.

Thoughts?
    Why not go look at professional photographers websites and see what they use and how they use them? Try Clay Blackwell.

Oooh thanks for that, I'll check out Clay's work. I did poke around a bit, though had a bit of a hard time finding film or LF shooters. Found some nice articles for the digital domain though. But since you can crank a DSLR up to like a million ISO it felt a bit apples to oranges.

Oooh thanks for that, I'll check out Clay's work. I did poke around a bit, though had a bit of a hard time finding film or LF shooters. Found some nice articles for the digital domain though. But since you can crank a DSLR up to like a million ISO it felt a bit apples to oranges.
    Most current pro portrait photographers that have been in business for several years were film shooters that shoot digital now.

Found a few more sources to check out:

https://fstoppers.com/film/light-eat...raiture-164612
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...LF-portraiture
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...tinuous-lights

Oddly found the last two via a Google search rather than the built-in search here but *shrug* some good info nonetheless! Still looking for examples from other photographers (Googling around while I have breaks at work).

I think initially I may get a cheap wireless sync to fire my current flash since that'll get me started since that doesn't require much investment and I can play around with it while I continue to research options.

Found a few more sources to check out:

https://fstoppers.com/film/light-eat...raiture-164612
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...LF-portraiture
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...tinuous-lights

Oddly found the last two via a Google search rather than the built-in search here but *shrug* some good info nonetheless! Still looking for examples from other photographers (Googling around while I have breaks at work).

I think initially I may get a cheap wireless sync to fire my current flash since that'll get me started since that doesn't require much investment and I can play around with it while I continue to research options.
    Do you have an umbrella or soft box? How about a couple of light stands and a reflector to use as a fill light?

Umbrella and stands are on the shopping list (I super needed it a few weeks ago). Previously I've only had one of those sheet diffusers you strap to the top of the flash. Hadn't thought about a reflector but that's a good point. The place I have room to set things up doesn't have a ton of natural light but it would help (likewise I assume I can have the flash bounce off a reflector as well)

You need a lot of light for large format portraits at traditional working apertures. I use 500 watt flash heads and I would say that is around the minimum you practically need if you want any kind of flexibility. It would be a major undertaking to get the same intensity of light from LED's or CFL's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Key View Post
    You need a lot of light for large format portraits at traditional working apertures. I use 500 watt flash heads and I would say that is around the minimum you practically need if you want any kind of flexibility. It would be a major undertaking to get the same intensity of light from LED's or CFL's.
    A soft box can be much more pleasant then an umbrella. The reflector can kick light back as a fill on the shadow side from your flash. You just look for a 3:1 lighting ratio.

Hi,
    I have all quoted problems: I would like enough light without roasting the subject during the setting and positioning of the lamps...
    So, for the kind of light, tungsten were the best: some with fresnels, to have a crisp light in some areas... but those are really hot!
    So, besides the usual diffusors that always work well, for pointed lights LEDs could be a solution, but I did not find the same kind of concentration of the flood.
    Do you have any advice ? which kind of lamps should I look for ?
    There are mini parabolic leds that look pretty good, but I am not sure.
    Thank you