Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Selling Prints Online

Re: Selling Prints Online

Yes... Please keep us all informed.
    I would be very 'interested' to know, what the 'Net Margin' is -- On your Print Sale.

On FAA you’re not selling prints. It’s much like selling ebooks. Upload once and hopefully sell many times. It’s a different business model entirely than selling prints.

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    On FAA you’re not selling prints. It’s much like selling ebooks. Upload once and hopefully sell many times.
    It’s a different business model entirely than selling prints.
    Like others... I understand the Business "Model". It is definitely nothing new...
    However, I was under the understanding... That the Title of this Thread was:

"Selling Prints Online".

multiplex

i have been selling a handful of very large prints a year through imagekind...
    now, for about 10 years. ive sold them to private and commecial clients
    and there have not been any complaints. at one point they could not print anything larger than 4'x6'
    now i think they can print even larger ( i might be wrong ). last year i needed a pair
    of 8foot by 6foot prints on canvas, but they couldn't print ultra wide, so instead we worked with 4 - 4foot by 6foot stretched canvas prints.
    they were consumate professionals in every respect, a real pleasure to work with, can't complain one bit.
    they print on a variety of papers with pigment inks too. large or small they crate ship domestic and internationally.

i don't sell mine for peanuts. i was told if i did i could sell more, more often. i don't want to do it and keep my prices where they have been for years
    no matter what they ( people/photographes &c ) tell you, most of the time none of these places promote you have to do that on your own. there are exceptions to every rule
    though, some more selective websites that cater to the interior design community have sales reps in LA, NY and LONDON...

YMMV
    Last edited by jnantz; 7-Jun-2018 at 12:31.

Drew Wiley

I don't know Clyde Butcher. But from what he has written about himself, he distinctly hated what he was doing by mass-marketing cutesy postcardy images. I give him great credit for leaving behind that unsatisfying business model despite it supporting him, and having the courage to shoot and print subject matter he believed in, found rewarding to print, and managed to sell on his own terms afterwards.

Thank you everyone for your comments and experience. I want to mention one point.
    I asked about Fine Art America and similar sites because it makes it easier.
    You do not print the images, ship photos, collect the money, etc.
    They do that for you and you make less profit on a sale, but spend less time, etc.

I have very limited experience selling fine art prints. I am primarily a portrait
    and commercial photographer, with a studio in Denver, Colorado.
    I realize that it is tough to get started in the fine art market and I am
    evaluating my options.

If anyone has further information, please feel free to comment. I will follow these posts.

Again, thank you for your help. Allan

Drew Wiley

Sounds almost like a stock photo arrangement, something which once paid handsomely, in pre-digital, mainly LF days, but now a mere pittance. "Fine Art" is
    pretty much a plastic term anyway, that can mean just about anything, like potentially calling Denneys or Burger King "fine cuisine". But there's nothing wrong with experimenting in order to find your groove. Gotta get to first base first.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
    Who supplies the physical prints? If it’s FAA you might actually make it up in volume.
    FAA makes the prints and will do the fulfillment or ship the product to the photographer to inspect and deliver/ship. The photographer sets the price. The photographer sets the sizes of prints available. The photographer sets the profit and FAA adds their costs on top of the photographers profit. Customers can order the print framed or unframed and do it themselves. Photographers get a percentage of the cost of frames and matts. The prints are guaranteed by FAA and payment is delayed 30 days in case the customer returns the print(s).

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    The original poster asked about places like FAA which prints, frames and ships. I don’t know what camera Jeff used, but my one sale was from a scanned 4x5 negative.
    I use all sorts of cameras, including 4x5 and various digital models (Canon) even iPhones. The majority of my sales are from digital files from various Canon models. However, I’ve sold several images from scanned 4x5 negatives (B&W).

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Taija71A View Post
    Yes... Please keep us all informed.
    I would be very 'interested' to know, what the 'Net Margin' is -- On your Print Sale.
    hi Taija71A
    im not on FAA. imagekind has all their
    prices upfront and people can charge whatever you want
    from 1$ profit to 1000% profit. they send you a check
    after the "return time" is up ( they offer a MBG so if the buyer doesn't like
    the printing &c they just return it and get $ back ). they will sell your work
    on amazon, blast you on their various feeds, but they don't have a rep
    to shop your work around. they don't really care wha you upload. some folks
    upload "figurative work" otherrs sketches and paintings, others adamsesque landscapes
    others stuff that is sort of off the wall, and others just import their flickr feed.
    i can't speak for FAA but ... i was going to go there and saachix2 about 5 or 6 years ago
    when imagekind had some sort of a glitch, their services did not
    seem at the same level too many fish in a small tank. saachi had in-site contests &c
    which i wasn't interrestd in both offered lots of glimmer but no gold.
    im sure they are all the same. $wise, unless FAA and saachisaachi have specific prices they make you charge.
    but as i said earlier. imagekind's customer service ( both for someone who uploads and who buys )
    is top notch .. and their printing is as well. can't complain at all ...
    i won't post my sales figures but i'll just say it has been worth it.