Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contributing to Katrina relief

Contributing to Katrina relief

The folks in the areas devastated by Hurricane Katrina really need help.

I'm dedicating the profits from the sale of my prints to charities that are providing relief to the victims of Katrina, and I'm going to do that through the end of this year.

If other people will similarly dedicate a portion of their profits, and let me know, I'll add links to the websites of the artists on my web site. Maybe if a bunch of us do it, people can browse around until they find a web site offering something they like, and we can generate a little synergy that will result in a little more money going where it's desperately needed.

Any takers?

My wife and are sending money to the Red Cross, I applaud your efforts to do something rather than sit around and talk, and hopefully some of the 'haves' around here and elsewhere will part will some of what they have to the 'have nots', thanks for the gesture.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

You can call the Red Cross @ 1-800-help-now.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

I saw on the news this evening the Red Cross needs medical expertise, and badly.

I also read that Castro has offered 1,100 M.D.s to assist in the rescue operations.

Why don't we accept his kind and generous offer? We need them!

I've made a substantial (by my standards, not by Bill Gates') contribution to the Humane Society's disaster relief fund to help in rescuing dogs and other animals left behind when Katrina hit. I'd urge others to do the same by going to www.hsus.org/disaster_relief_fund and using your credit card. I know the people need help but I think they'll get what they need through Congressional appropriations, Red Cross, and generous individuals like Paul. I'm less sure about the animals and I think they need our help too.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thank you, Brian.

I agree fully and have just done the same. None of God's creatures should be left behind.

As "Radar" often used to say, "Animals are people, too."

I'm with Brian on this one. By all means the people will get the help they need. Fortunately, there are a lot of animal advocates that have been paying attention since the aftermath of this hurricane. Unfortunatly, funds will be scarce and the immediate need is critical. I am going to make substantial donation this AM (by my standards, not by Donald Trump's) to the Humane Society (my three dogs are looking at me as I type this). Good suggestion Brian!

One of the many articles on CNN.com discussed a small boy crying to the point of vomiting as his dog Snowball was taken from him (as he boarded a bus heading for Texas). This broke my heart to read but I certainly understand why they can't have pets in the Metrodome! I only hope that these animals are under foster care until they can be returned to their rightful ownere.....I would hate to think they are up for adoption. Has anyone heard anything further on this subject?

I'm with Paul on this one and am donating all my profits from print sales.

Why not split up your donations (or make two of them!) one to a "people" charity and one to an "animal" charity like the Humane Society?

I really, firmly believe that the best allocation of resources is going to happen if each individual artist picks the relief organization that they feel will do the best job, or will address the right problems, or that they feel best matches them, for whatever reason.

So, regardless of whether it's the Red Cross, Salvation Army, Mercy Corp, the Humane Society - the important thing is to do SOMETHING.

And, I recognize that some of us depend on that income from print sales, and can't afford to commit 100% of the profit from print sales to charity. Please don't think it has to be 100% to participate. Everyone should choose the fraction of the profit that works for them.

Beyond that, I believe there's value to our photography that extends beyond the images on pieces of paper and has to do with how we behave, and the place we take in society.

And if those of you who participate on other forums would spread the word there, I'd sure appreciate it.

Try any of your local churches. Many of them will be hosting drop off sites for money, water, food, etc.