Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: advise on expanding my lens setup

advise on expanding my lens setup

I started out with 2 lenses I found cheap on fairs: a Fuji SWD 75mm and a Symmar 180/315. Since then I added a Fuji CM-W 250 and a CM-W 125. But the Symmar has a shutter with issues and I find that I have a "hole" in my focal lenghts. Between the 75 and 125 it is a really large difference. And because the 180 is not dependable, then the hole between 125 and 250 becomes an issue. I see several options to proceed but as budget is limited getting a dozen lenses is just impossible. At the moment I can add a single lens and I'd like to get the most out of it for the summer.

My main interest at the moment is "landscape" but this includes the city and its borders. I'd like architecture as well. The problem is that Belgium is a rather ugly country so being able to select the view is important (for me).

option 1: fill the gap between 75mm and 125mm (and live with the problematic shutter of the Symmar 180). I really like both lenses but the hole is big. In that range there are 2 alternatives:

option 1a: a fuji SWD 90. Reasonably easy to find and not too expensive.
    option 1b: a fuji CM-W 105. A bit more expensive and less easy to find.

From what I find in the list of the forum, the SWD has the larger image circle but is more a wide angle design and larger than the CM-W. The larger image circle is attractive but I fear more distortion.

Option 2: replace the Symmar 180. Again 2 options:
    option 2a: Fuji CM-W 150
    option 2b: Fuji CM-W 180
    (option 2c: replace the shutter of the Symmar, but I think this will cost as much as a new lens)

Don't think there is much to differentiate them for my use. Has any of them a better reputation than the other?

My gut feeling is to go with option 1a or 1b and try to get the shutter of the Symmar working myself.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Re: advise on expanding my lens setup

Instead of replacing anything, why not get the shutter professionally repaired? It sounds like you are looking for a reason to buy gear to me. (which there is nothing wrong with by the way)

As it stands you have 75, 125, 180, 250. That is a pretty solid spread if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by blue4130 View Post
    Instead of replacing anything, why not get the shutter professionally repaired?
    Because there isn't any repairer in the whole country. And just sending it would cost already half of a lens. I don't have 2 left hands but without a good manual I don't touch it myself.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Havoc, almost everyone with your lens lineup would choose the 90/8 lens. And if you like the way the 180 sees (as I do) get another and sell the convertible Symmar to partly fund the purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    option 1a: a fuji SWD 90. Reasonably easy to find and not too expensive.

My gut feeling is to go with option 1a...
    I have that lens, and have used it frequently on 4x5 Fuji ACROS. I think it's excellent.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Bruge is ugly?

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Because there isn't any repairer in the whole country. And just sending it would cost already half of a lens. I don't have 2 left hands but without a good manual I don't touch it myself.
    How about these people?

https://www.yelp.com/biz/camera-repair-service-gent

And what about in Holland?

If you're interested in architecture/cityscapes as you say, then you likely don't want the 105mm; no room for movements at all (I don't even know if it really covers 4x5 at all). FWIW, my most used lenses in the city (Vienna, where I've lived and photographed for 25+ years and I'm about to move away from ) are a Nikkor SW 90mm f/8 and a WF Ektar 135mm. Both give me the coverage I need for narrow streets and close quarters. I think a 90mm would fill your needs perfectly (you can always crop just a bit to get to the 100mm focal length if you want, but not vice-versa). the f/8 versions are significantly smaller than the f/5.6 ones.

As for the 180mm (nice focal length!). I second trying to find a repair person in the EU somewhere first. The shutter repair is likely not all that complicated. My favorite lens in that focal length is the Fujinon A 180mm f/9; it's much smaller than the other Plasmats. I have its bigger brother too, the 240mm f/9.

Best,

Doremus

In my opinion, your options are clear: Fujinon SWD 90/5,6 or if you find it very close to the SWD 75/5,6, try the superb Fujinon SW 105/8, which has a nice 250 mm image circle. I used this lens and itīs superb.

The Fujinon W 180/5,6 is a superb lens. The W version, previous to the last CM W version, will reward you with an impresive 280mm image circle. The newer version CM W has 260 mm image circle and is more expensive. I usedd the W version with 5x7 color transparencies and I find it superb.

Quote Originally Posted by hiend61 View Post
    In my opinion, your options are clear: Fujinon SWD 90/5,6 or if you find it very close to the SWD 75/5,6, try the superb Fujinon SW 105/8, which has a nice 250 mm image circle. I used this lens and itīs superb.

The Fujinon W 180/5,6 is a superb lens. The W version, previous to the last CM W version, will reward you with an impresive 280mm image circle. The newer version CM W has 260 mm image circle and is more expensive. I usedd the W version with 5x7 color transparencies and I find it superb.
    Superb compared to what other lenses you directly compared them to? Nikon? Rodenstock? Schneider?

They all make “superb” lenses!!!