Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: How to focus a view camera

Re: How to focus a view camera

Hi Vaughn,

I apologise for the late reply.

I have tried with the method you stated but gelled more so with measuring the camera rail. I am going to keep practicing and have another look at your method again soon.

Thanks again

Luke

Thank you David, I have been reading all the information and practicing.

Cheers

Luke

Thanks you for your reply Bob.

Luke

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply.

It might be hard to find, but I will certainly have a look for the article.

Cheers

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    This might help too. http://web.archive.org/web/200201242...ents/depth.pdf

Linhof has a depth of field chart that can be purchased fairly inexpensively from B&H. These used to be available free on the Internet. Maybe you can find one somewhere. The charts were available for 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10.
    Thank you David,

I will check it out.

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Rich14 View Post
    Get this Book by Howard Merklinger: https://www.amazon.com/Focusing-View.../dp/0969502524

It is the definitive work on the subject. Brilliant. Very straight forward. You don't need to follow his proofs - just follow his instructions.

Or download the PDF at:

http://www.trenholm.org/hmmerk/FVC161.pdf

I find having the bound book in hand so I can turn from the front to back rapidly to access the needed tables is 1000x easier than using the PDF on screen, or even printing it out.

Merklinger presents extensive charts and data which you can skip until you want to try to understand the principles. Just go to page 62 and follow along with his instructions. Once you understand the examples he presents it's easier to learn the method behind it. He takes a very complex subject and makes it extremely easy to focus any view camera in any situation very quickly and easily.

It's the best book ever written on the subject. Once you "get it," and it doesn't take long at all, you'll wonder why no one describes the process as he does.

Also get his other book, "The Ins and Outs of Focus."

Rich
    Hi Rich,

Sorry for the late reply.

I have just ordered myself a copy, thank you for the information and recommendation.

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Use the force, Luke... (couldn't resist).

Really though, I think you've got it almost right if I understand correctly, although I don't really understand your terminology exactly. There are a couple of things that stand out as not correct, however. Let me walk you through what I do and see if it agrees with what you think is correct.

First, I place my plane of sharp focus by choosing focus points. If I'm just using tilt or swing (or nothing at all), I'll just choose two. If I need both swing and tilt, I'll choose two each for vertical and horizontal. For your example, using just tilt, I'd choose one close and one far. What I don't think you've got correct is the concept of 1/3 of the depth of field toward the lens and 2/3 behind the plane of sharp focus. This works kind of if everything is set up parallel. If not, i.e., if you are using tilts or swings, then things are much different. Think of a tilted plane of sharp focus, for example intersecting a foreground rock and a distant mountain. The depth of field emerges from the plane in a wedge shape, growing greater as the distance increases. So, where the plane of sharp focus is near the camera, the depth of field on both sides of it is rather shallow. At a greater distance, the DoF is much greater, but at both places, it is about equally divided on both sides of the plane of sharp focus.

Therefore, in your example, I'd pick a near focus point about in the middle of the rock and about halfway up the mountain. I'd then set my tilt so that both my chosen points were in focus.

Now, I find the focus spread by finding the most distant things on either side of the plane of sharp focus that I still want sharp. When using tilts (or swings) you have to keep in mind that things on either side of the plane of sharp focus are no longer "closer" and "farther" from the camera! Instead, they are (in the case of tilts) above and below the plane of sharp focus (or right/left when using swings). That means, for example a near object that is below the plane of sharp focus requires you to focus closer to infinity than a near object above the plane of sharp focus. Similarly, the top of the mountain, in our example, is now above the plane of sharp focus and therefore requires more extension to focus on than the base of the mountain, which is below the plane of sharp focus.

At any rate, check all those extremes and find the farthest objects from the plane of sharp focus on either side that you want in focus. Note both of these extreme positions on your camera rail/bed. I use a millimeter scale on my camera beds to measure this distance. The optimum position for the focus then is exactly halfway between these extremes on the camera rail/bed. Notice that we are talking about the physical position of the camera standards here, NOT where you focus in the scene. I don't even worry about where in the scene the final focus is; once I find my extremes, I just position the focus halfway between them. However, just so you know, this does put the plane of sharp focus somewhere close to 1/3 into the scene when the standards are parallel. When you use tilts/swings, it's more complex, but still the plane of sharp focus gets positioned similarly. Still, it's not really necessary to know that, or even check it on the ground glass.

Now, once you've determined your focus extremes, you should know the focus spread in millimeters. The greater the focus spread, the greater the DoF you will need and the smaller the aperture you will need. All this is nicely worked out for you in the article on finding the correct f-stop in the main LF page, here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/fstop.html .

You can use the info there to work out your own table or simply use their suggestions. I've been using this method for years and never have a surprise as far as desired DoF goes. I recommend it highly.

You might want to check out the focusing article on the main page too. It's here: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-to-focus.html .

Hope this helps,

Doremus
    Hi Doremus,

I apologise for the late reply.

And I will forget about the Star Wars quote because your reply was exactly what I was looking for. Practicing with the 4x5 has been a joy and I think I have been getting to grips with it. I definitely find measuring the camera rail an easier way to set up a scene, but am still getting to grips with intimate scenes that have multiple planes to contend with.

Many thanks again for your reply.

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Having never seen Merklinger's book I just took a look at it. Whilst it may be seminal, it surely would scare many people away from LF photography... and fast!
    Thank you Brian, I do get lost in too much detail and have been getting much more confident with time spent behind the camera.

Cheers

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I concur with Coremus's post above. It is how I focus view cameras and after a little practice it is easy and as fool-proof as anything in LF photography can be. If your camera doesn't have a scale on it, a millimeter rule is your best friend.
    Hi Richard,

It has been exactly what has resinated with me and how i have been focusing.

Much appreciated,

Luke

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    I use my eyes.
    After reading all this, I think I'd better start focusing with my eyes closed and use a chart, calculator, and iPhone app instead...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."