Thread: Shutter Aperture Scales (used lenses)

Shutter Aperture Scales (used lenses)

My question to the group is based on the uncertainty of buying a used lens. If you see a lens for sale, what clues do you use to verify the lens cells and the shutter aperture scales match? Sometimes, this is stated in the sellers info but other times it has to be spotted in the pictures. I see a 100mm lens currently being sold mounted in a shutter with the scale for a 135mm/400mm convertible lens without any mention of this discrepancy. This is an easy one to spot but what if you want a 150mm f5.6-f64 and the shutter originally mounted a 90mm f5.6-f64?

The newer copal shutter scales have more info but it is not as clear as when states the lens (Nikkors). Is there a site that list the various copal scale codes to the intended lenses?

I did search around but couldn't locate a discussion on this topic.
    Thanks everyone.

Re: Shutter Aperture Scales (used lenses)

You pay your money, you take your chances. I usually send new lenses to SKG and have them check that the scales/spacing is correct. May not be cheap, but it's what I do.

Since both lenses in your example are in a 0 shutter the scales are the same.

Would they be? They are different focal lengths and the ratios for the FL vs. aperture would be different. Wouldn't the f-stop indicator be in different locations on the aperture scale?

See Auction 183236958712 on eBay. This shows the 100mm lens with the scale for a 135mm/400mm convertible. If the f-stop indicator position is not an issue, why would there be a 3-stop difference between the 135mm and the 400mm scales.
    I think this illustrates the problem with the auction sites, you may not be buying from a knowledgeable person.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar58 View Post
    Would they be? They are different focal lengths and the ratios for the FL vs. aperture would be different. Wouldn't the f-stop indicator be in different locations on the aperture scale?
    Same scale. If you look at the scale on the top of a Copal shutter you will see at the far left end, in very small numbers, printed across the width of the scale, a number. That is the number for the scale. On all Rodenstock 5.6 lenses in 0 shutter the same scale is used. At least from 90mm to 150mm.
    We sold a lot of factory scales for Rodenstock lenses when all of the used DB mount lenses started to be sold on various sites as big studios switched over to digital. However we sold very few for 75 and shorter so I never checked those scales.
    Last edited by Bob Salomon; 28-May-2018 at 19:47.

It happens often. I recently mentioned such an issue to a seller auctioning a nice lens with mismatched aperture scale. This one was more obvious though, f/4.5 scale for a f/5.6 lens. He replied with, "Hence the low starting price", but he didn't change the textual data in the listing. Until I asked for more photos showing the scale, his images didn't show the problem. Buyer beware. Inspect and test thoroughly when items arrive. Use eBay's "Item Not As Described" return procedure when a seller errs, or lies, or intentionally omits important details.