Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a GDPR disclosure forthcoming!

Re: Is a GDPR disclosure forthcoming!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    First we .... the lawyers...
    One of the great misunderstood quotes from Shakespeare. The exact line is ''The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers,'' was stated by Dick the Butcher in Henry VI, Part II, act IV, Scene II, Line 73.

In the greater context, Shakespeare is talking about justice, how to instill it, and how to disrupt it. Dick the Butcher and Jack Cade think that if they disrupt law and order that Dick (or Jack, I can't remember after so many years) one of them can be come king. How to disrupt law and order? "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."

That is not a slur against lawyers at all. It's a complement to them. They are, even in Shakespeare's time, the keepers of law and order.

Now see what you've done? You made an engineer defend lawyers. Oy.

Bruce Watson

GDPR. We're discussing the issue, but, so far, we don't think we're affected.

Wordpress has implemented a Privacy Policy page where you fill in the details for those who have a blog with international commenters/contributers. If anyone posts a comment on your website and later decides its an invasion of their privacy for you to maintain that comment with their email attached/stored the you as site owner are potentially open to a lawsuit. I would think forums would fall under the same logic. From my training on GDPR from a large corporation, a method for users to remove their personal information or have a method to notify you of their decision for you not to store/use their personal info (email address, location, etc.) is required. We even changed data retention policy for info stored about individuals no longer employed by the company.

LFF should amend their profile page to remind users it is up to them what personal info is stored/displayed , but also that removing things like an email address may prevent others from using forum features such as Private Messaging to reach them. URLs in signatures may also need reminding that it is considered consent and voluntary sharing of ones personal info. However going back through years of posts to remove those URLs might be daunting.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

It's not possible to post a comment on the Forum without registering as a member. And registering is an opt-in process in which the person registering indicates acceptance of our policies, including our policies on privacy and intellectual property rights, which are clearly stated on the FAQ page.

That said, we are considering whether GDPR introduces any new wrinkles that are relevant to us.

Re signatures, if you decide that there's something in your signature that you'd rather not share any more, just delete it - AFAIK the Forum software applies the currently active signature to all messages posted under that username.

I know its been eight years since the last reply to this thread,

But I am looking for legal material on GDPR, never mind if I am in the U.S. because I want to know how analog large format film as a legality, fits into the GDPR.

I am still jumping into LF, and at least if in the near future it becomes "severe" in any place I might happen to be in.. at least I have an idea of what I can practice with LF.

I am mostly interested in only landscape and structures ( federal and sensitive strucs. ok no go for that) that have no people in them.. Just without people , to be clear.

It seems there is always a reason both good and bad to protect and suppress the masses since surveillance is also used by government and law enforcement units (cctv etc.)

So I wonder how is sheet film treated, since there is no digital timestamp and such.. only the locations which can still be contested.

Max
    Last edited by Maximo; 13-Aug-2019 at 23:07. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
    I am mostly interested in only landscape and structures ( federal and sensitive strucs. ok no go for that) that have no people in them.. Just without people , to be clear.
    GDPR applies only to recognizable people. The visual recording medium is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    GDPR applies only to recognizable people. The visual recording medium is irrelevant.
    OK got it. so LF is well depends its not like you can do street photography and churn out 100 frames with people in it .

OK understood. Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
    But I am looking for legal material on GDPR, never mind if I am in the U.S. because I want to know how analog large format film as a legality, fits into the GDPR.
    Max, I doubt that anyone here can give you a legally rigorous answer to that general question, or to the more specific question of whether GDPR has any impact on existing regulations, that vary from place to place in Europe, concerning what kinds of permissions you need for various uses of photographs that contain recognizable people. I'm afraid you're going to have to do your own homework. But at the very least, if you intend to make pictures in Europe, you still need to inform yourself about the permission rules that are in effect for each place you will visit.