Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying the 12x20

Re: Carrying the 12x20

I have a FS 12x20 camera and bought a Gator 2621 bag. Camera fits in the bag very well, even there is a little bit room. I put one film holder in outside pocket although the pocket cannot completely cover the film holder. The bag is not light, but it protects camera very well.

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    Thanks Michael for the clarity. Wish the lightest fit, but it won't. My F&S is 24" wide, knob-to-knob.
    Last edited by diversey; 24-Apr-2021 at 14:55.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Excellent, does your new external frame have a packbag, or is it more of the freighter/loadhauler design? If the latter, a number of companies sell panels that support/compress awkward loads: Mystery Ranch's "Load Sling" and Kifaru's "Cargo Net" and "Cargo Panel" come to mind. Of course it's all dependent of the tab loop spacing how elegant a solution you can find, but usually where there's a will there's a way.

Otherwise, another option for y'all pushing ULF outfits down the trail would be the Hill People Gear's "Decker" pack--they're down in Grand Junction if you're ever passing through. (Kifaru is in an exurb of Denver, and would be even closer.)
    The Cargo Panel looks fantastic. I've been looking for a way to strap the camera to the frame in its natural horizontal position, and the net looks like a great way to do it. Thanks!!!

300 lb load limit!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    The Cargo Panel looks fantastic. I've been looking for a way to strap the camera to the frame in its natural horizontal position, and the net looks like a great way to do it. Thanks!!!
    Tin Can

I've been looking for a way to strap the camera to the frame in its natural horizontal position
    Excellent, I hope you find a platform that works for you--I will say that you might run into issues carrying the camera horizontally if the compression straps deform the corners of the semi-rigid case as you try to get lateral stability. I'm sure you'll figure something out, though.

I think this is about where a mule begins to smell pretty good. Really, just moving my 1220 around the house wears me out. Never mind the great outdoors.
    But, oh, how I do love that BIG ground glass! It is like a drug!

LOL try my Wisner! I think it's over 25 pounds bare.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Excellent, I hope you find a platform that works for you--I will say that you might run into issues carrying the camera horizontally if the compression straps deform the corners of the semi-rigid case as you try to get lateral stability. I'm sure you'll figure something out, though.
    Yes, that’s my concern as well. I will need to keep pressure where the base and front rails are and minimize pressure on the rear frame (and on the film holders if they are strapped to the camera).

BTW, I just ordered a couple of these Universal Carrying Straps to experiment with: https://www.strapworks.com/Universal..._p/ucs112n.htm

But you are young with a wife who assists

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    LOL try my Wisner! I think it's over 25 pounds bare.
    Tin Can

Yes, that’s my concern as well. I will need to keep pressure where the base and front rails are and minimize pressure on the rear frame (and on the film holders if they are strapped to the camera).
    Part of the problem is that the kinds of pack systems under discussion are designed for compressible loads (dry bags or meat bags) or else rigid cases--I keep imagining you reefing-down on a compression strap and winding up with a bag full of kindling.

That said, I don't know what kinds of plans you have for your ULF system, but given what little I've experienced of Front Range weather, if I were taking it too far down the trail I might go by Kifaru and "show-room" a Stryker XL
    https://kifaru.net/store/packs/day-p...auler-daypack/
    A spendy option indeed, but having been through a May blizzard in the RMNP one afternoon to fishing in shirtsleeves the next day, I'd feel a lot better if you had your layers close at hand...

Very good advice. Thanks!

More hypothermia deaths in the Rockies in summer than winter. Afternoon thunderstorms at elevation. Temp drops of 30+ and wet clothes.