Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small Hole Film Punch

Drew Wiley

Re: Small Hole Film Punch

I've used my masking registration punch, which is expensive device, but have a leather or belt punch in the darkroom too. Fiskars products are generally well made, but not Blick. I agree with punching the film dry.

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    Punch the hole before putting it into the film holder. You can then use any punch, and not have to worry about it.
    +1. Seems the obvious solution.

I use dental x-ray clips. They punch their own hole the size of a straight pin. Hold any size film securely.

Personally, I would punch it when wet(much easier with 4x5 than 5x7 or 8x10, but still), that ensures that you only punch where you want the hole to be: NOT in the negative's area.
    However, having always recommended that people leave some "cropping room" along the edges(with any format), this can help
    Without a precision way of placing the hole(such as Drew's masking punch), you're doing a guessing game of "where's the hole" in terms of potential placement within the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I use dental x-ray clips. They punch their own hole the size of a straight pin. Hold any size film securely.
    Sounds similar to my dental clip but mine don’t punch a hole just have a sharp point that grips the film securely. A forum member gave me some the I found more on eBay. Thomas if you’re interested I can drop a few in the mail to you when I return on Wednesday. Just shoot me a pm with your address.

Roger

I've bought 1/16" punches at craft shops, and punch my ULF films to hang dry....
    The punches don't always captivate the punched out piece, and occasionally leave a "chad", so, while I like the idea of punching before loading the holder, I'd worry if there was a little 1/16" round piece of film rattling around somewhere I don't want it. YMMV.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

I have a leather punch that has a spur-like wheel with different size punches. Handy for many things, including making my belts tighter as I lose weight.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

After some thought I think I will punch the hole when I remove the developed negative from the tank. Pull the negative up but, before removing completely, punch the hole and then into the PhotoFlo. That way there's no touching the emulsion and you have a free hand. Punching the hole before loading the holder means you have to do it inside the tent blind.

I'm down to 8 sheets of 8x10 Acros and the 2 boxes of Delta I ordered a month ago are still on backorder.

Thomas

Drew Wiley

Strange. I always thought leather punches were to make your belt fit wider !

Lighter and a paper clip. Heat the clip, push it through the film then hang it.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy