Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repainting old lens

Repainting old lens

I have an old Goerz that I've disassembled and would like to repaint since the original stuff was 100 years old and looks like dog shit. I've tried several polyurethane and enamel paints with and without primers and neither sticks terribly well to the sanded and cleaned aluminum (or what appears to be aluminum). The other issue is that the paint is way too thick and fills in the etched lettering and numbers on the barrel completely.

The original paint seems to be alcohol based since it dissolved easily with some denatured.

Wondering what folks have used in the past for making their old glass look good again?

Oh and if there's another forum post about this please redirect me.

Re: Repainting old lens

I doubt my suggestion would look original but here's an idea. There is a solution that blackens aluminum. The more you apply, the darker the effect. I've used Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black on a variety of projects. Searching the Web I see there's also a gloss touch-up pen made by the same company. I haven't tried that but now I probably will. Afterward, you can then fill the lettering with white model paint or Lacquer-Stik, which I've also used and been happy with.

Scott

Sounds like it was coated with Shellac. Coat first with a couple of coats of shellac, and then use whatever you want over the top. But...so what if it looks old? That's part of the charm.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

If it looks old and for sale, I might buy it. If it looks repainted I wouldn't even consider it.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check out the aluminum blackening. I was also thinking about using asphaltum and an alcohol based ink I found that's supposed to stick to anything.

And Jim, I have no intentions of selling the lens. Just making it look prettier.

Does anyone know how the barrels of the lenses were painted back around 1900? Have a LF lens dating back to then, and black paint finish that is impeccable!

I'd love to find that out, I have a couple of other older ones and the finish is really nice on them.

If you wish a highly durable finish search for the many who do powder-coating.
    Seriously, it is the final word for quality, durability and it is economical.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    If you wish a highly durable finish search for the many who do powder-coating.
    Seriously, it is the final word for quality, durability and it is economical.
    Wouldn't the heat affect the lens?

Quote Originally Posted by el french View Post
    Wouldn't the heat affect the lens?
    I might be mistaken, but I was thinking it was a barrel lens. One would remove the front and rear lenses.