Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x5 FP4 survives a dozen airport scans

Views You Can Use

4x5 FP4 survives a dozen airport scans

It was the one thing I was pretty sure of, but wasn't positive, until I processed the film. The film was scanned 2-3x (coming and going, re-scans) in Chicago, Brussels, Mumbai and Kochi. I shot about 150 images over two weeks in India. So far so good, I see no fog at all, not even a little and it was very hot and humid where I was.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img189.jpg   img231.jpg   img203.jpg  

Re: 4x5 FP4 survives a dozen airport scans

Were the negatives in your carry-on luggage or checked luggage? From what I have read, carry ons are subjected to less harmful scanning than the checked bags, no?

Just as most have never been hit by a drunk driver - all it takes is that one time.

Why not do your best to limit scans when possible? That one time you hit the check in line with a scanner that is out of calibration or malfunctioning is out there somewhere.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Just as most have never been hit by a drunk driver - all it takes is that one time.
    Why not do your best to limit scans when possible? That one time you hit the check in line with a scanner that is out of calibration or malfunctioning is out there somewhere.
    Faulty logic. Do you limit your driving so as to lessen the chance of getting hit by a drunk driver? How much a potential danger affects our behavior is determined by our assessment of the risk. Things that are highly unlikely don't have a great effect on our behavior, and rightly so. Scanners for hand luggage these days are very safe for film, and the OP has just corroborated that. Furthermore, it is unlikely that hand inspections are available in Brussels, Mumbai and Kochi; they are really only done in U.S. airports.

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    ...Do you limit your driving so as to lessen the chance of getting hit by a drunk driver?...
    Absolutely. And for a lot of other reasons too.

I should really apologize for my weak analogy: of course many need to limit, or at least drive more defensively due to higher risk in their particular situation, which is entirely justified. I really only meant to point out that risk for fogging from scanners these days is small enough that I don't consider it a real issue. I believe the OP was simply trying to corroborate that.

Best,

Doremus

I should really apologize...
    No, you shouldn't. I was just giving you a hard time.

Furthermore, it is unlikely that hand inspections are available in Brussels, Mumbai and Kochi; they are really only done in U.S. airports.
    Not sure about Kochi, because I haven't been there in a long time. But in Mumbai I asked for, and did get my film hand-checked a couple of years ago. Last year I forgot to ask because we were running late for a connecting flight, and there was no problem even with Natura 1600. I sell and ship film worldwide (including to some stores in the US) and there has never been a problem.

Kumar

Views You Can Use

It also went through a hotel security airport style scanner in Mumbai, a scanner that was made in the 90's, and I thought it might have a stronger dose, but it was also harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post

What would be the solution, not traveling? I'm just asking because I am not sure if you mean something else - a point I cannot see.