Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southwest Florida / Everglades

Southwest Florida / Everglades

Last thread here on the forum about the Everglades was in 2010, so let's talk about it again .

I just booked 3 days in the Everglades later this month. I'm staying just outside Everglades City. My list of things to do include:

- Big Cypress Gallery and meet Clyde Butcher if I can
    - Fakahatchee Strand State Preserve looks amazing
    - Corkscrew Swamp possibly if I can make it work coming or going since it's further north (I'm driving in from Orlando)

The Everglades are a huge section of Florida and so I'm not sure where else to go for good access to the Everglades area. Up in the northern part of Florida, there's a lot of places I found or heard about that were not really "known" or easily found, so I'm hoping to find more of that in the Everglades. I'm not interested in the tourist trap stuff or "swamp tours." More like good hiking, deep woods, even wading maybe (though apparently it's gator season so maybe not). I'm going to be with a good friend and he may bring a canoe, so suggestions on boat launch places would be cool too.

Some previous suggestions on that older thread included "Big Cypress Preserve," but that covers thousands of acres, so specifically where would be helpful for suggestions.

Last time I went to the Everglades I was on the east side and I was underwhelmed. I'm hoping to have better luck this time.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Southwest Florida / Everglades

Looking on the map, I just found the Ten Thousand Islands National Wildlife Refuge Marsh Trail, which looks pretty good and is 10 minutes from where I'm staying.

I saw Clyde's gallery up in Venice, Florida. Pretty nice stuff. IF you check his pictures, you see that he uses majestic clouds a lot. He calls them the mountains of Florida and is what gives his pictures that great dimension as the Everglades can get boring. Look to the clouds for better shots. Good luck.

PS: I wouldn't go wading in the Everglades.

I met Clyde Butcher in his Big Cypress Gallery. He was very kind, interesting and encouraged me in my view camera work. Visit if you can!

Terry

At the time I met him, Clyde was using an orange filter to bring out those clouds. I always found google earth useful for finding potential shooting spots.

Last info I saw, Clyde was still recuperating from a stroke.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

You may check Clyde Butcher’s website and follow where he shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    PS: I wouldn't go wading in the Everglades.
    Yeah, not even with a cast iron codpiece!

Words of advice - in the Everglades, if it is wet there are water moccasins and if it is dry there are rattlesnakes (being from Georgia you know about those) and if you are wading in shallow water and step in a gator den you can't see, well....
    Also, water moccasins love to try and climb in a boat. If one is swimming towards you, get the paddle ready to beat it off. If you see a Burmese python kill it. They are destroying the ecosystem. Unless maybe it is one of these "A snake hunter caught a 17-foot-1-inch-long (5 meters) Burmese python near the Big Cypress National Preserve in the Everglades" in which case you might want to look for photo ops in a different direction - but do report it.

Regarding Clyde, I believe he is recovering well and he is giving a gallery talk at his St. Armands location just a couple days before I get to Florida. So I'm hoping he'll be back at the BC Gallery when I'm down there. I am going to email him a little closer to the dates.

I have also been looking at locations based on photographs of his and others for sure...that's something I try to do no matter where I go. One of the good things about GPS tagging, Instagram, etc., is "virtual" scouting of locations.

Yes, being spring I guess it's best to stay out of the water .