Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 240v Nocon timer in USA?

240v Nocon timer in USA?

Can you use a 240v model Nocon enlarger timer on 120v (USA) electrics?

If not is there a workaround, such as a transformer? Is a transformer needed either side of the timer? (in other words to step up to 240v input and again step down to 120v output)

Thanks for any advice.

Re: 240v Nocon timer in USA?

Is it 50 or 60 cycle, or both? If 50 cycle the timing will be off on USA 60 cycle current, even if you convert or use a transformer to run on US voltage. BTW, US voltage can range from in the 80s to over 120V depending on where you are and the time of the year! NYC voltage during brown outs can be well into the 80s!

Hmm. Cycles are not mentioned on the casing but I didn't think about the timing - just the voltage!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Hudson View Post
    Hmm. Cycles are not mentioned on the casing but I didn't think about the timing - just the voltage!
    If it is the wrong cycles you will be 20% off on the set time!

Eric Woodbury

I'm not familiar with this timer. If cycles are NOT mentioned, then it may not care. Modern timing equipment develops its timebase from the crystal oscillator that is used with the microprocessor. So, if this timer is fairly modern and has a micro processor in it, then the timing will be fine.

You can use a 120VAC to 220VAC converter (or 240VAC). These are available easily from Amazon. However, if the power to the lightsource comes from the timer (do you plug your enlarger into the timer?), then the lightsource will need to be 240VAC compatible, too. Or, you can convert it back with another adapter from 240VAC to 120VAC. A tangled web. You really need to love this timer.

If you have electronics knowledge, you could pop the hood on the timer and see if the transformer inside that powers the electronics can be rewired, switched, or replaced to operate on 120VAC. If you are not an 'electronicker', then stay out.

What kind of plugs and outlets on this beast?

Good luck. Keep one hand in your pocket and don't stand in water.

One more question.....what do you call the plug type for the socket on the back of Nocon to connect the enlarger, and does anybody know of a source for them?

Thanks for any info.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nocon rear.jpg  

One more question.....what do you call the plug type for the socket on the back of Nocon to connect the enlarger, and does anybody know of a source for them?

Thanks for any info.
    If you are talking about that round socket it looks like a Canon plug socket. But there are lots of different ones with different pin configurations.

Thanks Bob it's the square one I need. I've found the reference by looking inside. Seems I need a Bulgin PX0770 6A plug (the socket is a Bulgin P780).

Thanks Bob it's the square one I need. I've found the reference by looking inside. Seems I need a Bulgin PX0770 6A plug (the socket is a Bulgin P780).
    Glad you found it! I couldn’t see a square plug on my iPad!

It seems that the connector is discontinued. Anybody know of a source for the plug? I'm attaching a better image from elsewhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bulgin PX0770.jpg   Bulgon PX0770.jpg