Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idea for super-thin 0.3mm glass plate

Idea for super-thin 0.3mm glass plate

Coud someone experienced in safe glass cutting take an iPad screen protector 0.3mm tempered glass, peel off the plastic coating (blow-dryer and gloves), and cut to size to make a super-thin glass plate for coating? One could find the cheap ones on eBay or discount store.

I don’t coat my own emulsion coating so I wonder - will this fit in a standard sized film holder? What if the glass were even a bit thinner—they are out there!

Cut tempered glass:
    https://m.wikihow.com/Cut-Tempered-Glass

Screen protectors - 2 for $8.50:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-Temp...-/111970821244

Update: After removing plastic protective film, I cleaned my glass with Goof Off spray and lab wipes, then lens cleaner and Harbor Freight micro-fiber cloth. Now pristine!

Disclaimer: this process can cut and or blind you. It is not recommended that you cut tempered glass. Proceed at your own peril. First consult a professional, and wear safety gear from head to toe and eyes, plus cut-proof gloves that cover your wrists.
    Last edited by pchaplo; 7-May-2018 at 17:14.
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Re: Idea for super-thin 0.3mm glass plate

Peeling the coating: used blow dryer to heat adhesive

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43EDF5B1-9371-4D1B-8588-45B02CFE8759.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	178006
    Used single-edge razor to lift the corner to get it started.

Could be safer to cut with the plastic ON?
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

What would be the benefit over the normal glass that you coat? Just wondering.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by pchaplo View Post

will this fit in a standard sized film holder? What if the glass were even a bit thinner—they are out there!
    As the glass is adhesive we can just use an oversize film holder and adhere it to the (cleaned) septum.

LF film is usually coated on a 0.19mm base, usually sheets are some 0.2mm thick.

A dry plate made with 0.3mm glass may end in 0.35mm thickness, this is having a 0.15mm missmatch for GG vs film compared to a regular sheet, to keep it in mind if shot is wide open...

I see this interesting to make reversal process with DIY plates, a fancy slide would result

I don't see how this would help your photographs. On the other hand, if you like to tinker with things, go for it.

Hey Randy, Dunno. I’m making something else and wondered if it could help someone. For example, could a glass this this be coated with photographic emulsion, and used wet or dry in an stock film holder? If so, then a modified "film" holder may not be needed? Not my realm so I just put it out there as a material for inventive/maker types

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    What would be the benefit over the normal glass that you coat? Just wondering.
    Last edited by pchaplo; 7-May-2018 at 13:34.
    Petroleum Oil Pics

The reversal idea is very creative!

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    As the glass is adhesive we can just use an oversize film holder and adhere it to the (cleaned) septum.

LF film is usually coated on a 0.19mm base, usually sheets are some 0.2mm thick.

A dry plate made with 0.3mm glass may end in 0.35mm thickness, this is having a 0.15mm missmatch for GG vs film compared to a regular sheet, to keep it in mind if shot is wide open...

I see this interesting to make reversal process with DIY plates, a fancy slide would result
    "In order to invent, you need a good imagination and a lot of junk" Thomas Edison
    Last edited by pchaplo; 7-May-2018 at 13:33.
    Petroleum Oil Pics

I've wondered about using them but first thing to do is to test whether they are hydrophobic. I haven't tested that and it would be good if you tested that to make sure Collodion sticks to it.

You could potentially display an ambrotype made from such glass in an inexpensive phone case. It is also an image size and shape much of the public is accustomed to viewing.

True... it can have (or not...) a water repellent coating...

I cleaned off the remaining coating with Goof Off aerosol, then Panavision lens cleaner. Seems there was extra coating. I just need some thin clean glass. I’m not a DIY emulsion coater so YMMV — just think this is a cool material. Mine are used elsewhere in my photo inventions. The other aspect of this is that somewhere in the wolrd, there is cheap 0.25-0.3mm glass that is uncoated and untempered.
    Petroleum Oil Pics