Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KangRinpoche Film Changing Tents?

Re: KangRinpoche Film Changing Tents?

"Last one" meaning out of stock or end of production forever?

I can't say much about the manufacturer, whether they're still in business or not. As for this particular transaction, the seller (3S-krpc) had 13 new model 3S (for up to 11x14) tents to sell, and it appears from the listing that I purchased #13. I checked his "other" listings, and he has no other tents for sale, nor has he recently sold other models. (EBay option Sold Listings.)

Searching for KangRinpoche on EBay within category Cameras and Photo, there are none currently listed for sale, and these 13 are the only units that have been sold by any EBay seller in the last 90 days. (Again, Completed Listings. And, I think it's in the last 90 days.)

You might try contacting the seller and see what he says, whether he will have more to sell later.

Assuming all goes well with this transaction, I'll be selling a used Harrison 8x10 model for under $100 in the For Sale Forum. I'll be selling it inexpensively, because it's developed the fabric problem for which Harrison tents are known. I've not had a problem with it's being light-tight; but, with the KangRinpoche being offered at such a reasonable price, I decided to upgrade.

As to the Harrison fabric problem, and as I understand it, to whatever degree, Harrison tents out-gas. If the tent is left for any long period of time (years?) in the compact sack that Harrison themselves sell with the unit, this out-gas in such close quarters attacks the fabric. The fabric takes on a "moistness" feel, though it's not really wet. This has occurred on both the exterior and interior skins of my tent. Airing out the tent does not reverse this problem. Best that Harrison tents be stored with the flap open in a large box, or perhaps hanging in the open air.

I spoke with Harrison about this problem years ago, and they refused to acknowledge the problem. It was later that I learned about the problem's source, likely on this Forum.

Hi Neil,

How is the changing tent holding up? Any light leaks? Any quality issues to report?

Contemplating on purchasing one to replace my 9 yo Harrison.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

I'm not the original poster but I did buy one of these for ulf and it came w pinholes through the top stitching, brand new out of the box. The seller refunded my money, but I'm just saying I wouldn't trust it in broad daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by G Benaim View Post
    I'm not the original poster but I did buy one of these for ulf and it came w pinholes through the top stitching, brand new out of the box. The seller refunded my money, but I'm just saying I wouldn't trust it in broad daylight.

same here, i kept the tent and got a half refund. Mine had light leaks in the same place you are talking, i taped the pinholes and cover the whole tent with my dark cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    same here, i kept the tent and got a half refund. Mine had light leaks in the same place you are talking, i taped the pinholes and cover the whole tent with my dark cloth.
    And has that helped remedy the problem?

Yea. No more issues when used under subdued light. Even after taping the pinholes of the logo, i tested it again under direct sun and it still fogged film, But used in the shade with the darkcloth over the tent, no more issues.

Quote Originally Posted by G Benaim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    Thank you for these assessment and I'm sorry for your experience.

Looks like I'll get another Harrison.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Before I had a darkroom, I built my own out of cardboard and duct tape: https://youtu.be/fAXAavTAMbk

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Has anyone purchased a KangRinpoche Film Changing Tent? If so, what's your experience with it? Are they good quality?

I have the 8x10 Harrison, but it's having the typical Harrison tent quality problem, where the surface of the materials are deteriorating.
    How is the tent holding up?
    I need a tent for 4x5 and wonder if I could go with a KangRinpoche rather than a Harrison.
    Besides more expensive, the Harrison seems to need special care and storage.
    Last edited by many; 28-Sep-2022 at 09:53.