Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using a MPP camera?

Anyone using a MPP camera?

If so, how are you liking it? Do the Mk.7 and Mk.8 have geared rise on front standard? Post a pic? I’d love to see yours!
    Last edited by pchaplo; 5-May-2018 at 19:50.
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Re: Anyone using a MPP camera?

I have a Mk vIII, had it for about 20 years. Mine has geared rise not sure about the 7. The two camera's have different lens boards fyi. Mine does everything I need it to do, my only complaint is it's heavy.

I believe the Mk 7 has a geared rise on the lower right of the front standard as you look at the front of the camera, just like my Mk 6. The rise lock appears to be in a different place. I've never used the Mk 6, as more familiar press cameras are available. It seems like a well engineered and built product. http://mike@butkus.org offers a manual for the Mk 7.

Andrew, I just learned of the MPP’s. I hope you post a snapshot of it for us to see!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Tymon View Post
    I have a Mk vIII, had it for about 20 years. Mine has geared rise not sure about the 7. The two camera's have different lens boards fyi. Mine does everything I need it to do, my only complaint is it's heavy.
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Jim, you have a Mk 6? Did I understand you correctly that you don’t use it? Can you post a snapshot of it so I can see the front standard (we, I’d love to see the whole thing!

Thanks,
    Paul
    Petroleum Oil Pics

http://grahamp.dotinthelandscape.org/mpp.html Has a picture of the VII front standard at the bottom of the page.

The camera with a 150mm lens is actually heavier than my Intrepid 8x10 with 270mm lens 8-)

Rise is geared. There is little fall without an offset lens board unless you drop the base board and use tilt and rise to effect the amount of drop you need.

Quote Originally Posted by pchaplo View Post
    Jim, you have a Mk 6? Did I understand you correctly that you don’t use it? Can you post a snapshot of it so I can see the front standard (we, I’d love to see the whole thing!

Thanks,
    Paul
    Sorry for the poor quality of the photos. If you need better, let me know and I'll get to it later today.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_7137b.jpg   DSC_7138b.jpg  

Just to be different, I use an MPP Press - basically the same animal but with the rangefinder bolted on top and a focal plane shutter. The front standard is locknuts only, and tilts backwards to accommodate dropping the bed. I've turned that down so it will tilt the other way (got the hint from another user on here).

TBH I've never found the need to use the sports finder, the range finder, or the focal plane shutter but it's a solid old beast. The only issue I have is that the ground glass is set for the wooden plate holders, not the plastic film holders. That and the fact that it weighs a ton

Neil

Neil

A very solid beast and a 'tank' too

Anyone of you guys thought about something comparable which weighs less i.e. a Toyo 45

regards

Andrew

My MPP was 'born' the same year as myself, and about 10 miles away. So it has a certain nostalgic appeal. But I don't carry it long distances as a rule! There are some things I can do with it that I can't do with my Wista (bellows extension, 'press' style off-tripod use), but the Wista is lighter and will handle a 90mm lens with ease. I am fortunate in having a choice of tools.