Thread: Questions about a Press-Compur

Questions about a Press-Compur

I'm discussing a lens with someone and they can't currently access it to count the aperture blades for me. The shutter is a Linhof select Press-Compur. How many aperture blades does this shutter have?

For that matter, how does a Linhof select Press-Compur differ from a normal Compur?

Re: Questions about a Press-Compur

I'd say that a Linhof select Press-Compur is a normal Press-Compur that's Linhof stamped and had a QC check by Linhof.

Press-Compurs I've seen had 10 aperture blades, IIRC. If you search ebay, you have several Press-Compur with images of aperture blades.

I guess Press-Compur design added a lever to open the shutter, allowing to focus easily. I guess there is some confusion because "Prontor-Press" was a self cocking cheap version of the related Prontor. ("Zeiss organisation held a significant shareholding in both of these companies prior to the introduction of the shared connector" , PC: Prontor-Compur flash connector)

SK Grimes says: Later versions are called “Synchro Compur” or, in the case of the non flash version “Compur Rapid” and have five (shutter) blades, this is not the aperture blades count...

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Re: Questions about a Press-Compur

I have one of those, they are terrific. The lens is great, I cannot access my lens now to count the blades. But, the problem I have is that the lever to open the shutter (it is like a little concentric circles/cone/hat) is one of those that can break easily, specially if it has not been used for a long time. Make sure you can open it without problem. Mine broke, and since they don't have T, but B only for speed. I open the shutter with B and lock the release cable until the focussing is done. IT should be really cheap.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones