Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Platinum print edition

Drew Wiley

Re: Platinum print edition

In the right hands, platinum can be a much more elegant and subtle media than inkjet. But it's also a precious metal and tricky to replicate in matching "edition" form. So I hope you have $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    In the right hands, platinum can be a much more elegant and subtle media than inkjet. But it's also a precious metal and tricky to replicate in matching "edition" form. So I hope you have $$$.
    Drew I think he meant the negative to make the Pt Pd was not pure therefore not good.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Hi Alan

How hard of a learning curve was this program, I am thinking of purchasing it from Richard.

thanks

Bob
    Not really hard at all. IMO, the hardest part is figuring out the workflow based on which spectrophotometer you're using. If using an I1 like what Richard uses, it's certainly more straightforward, but if using something like a ColorMunki (which is what I used) not so much. But, Richard is a very helpful guy if you need help and, once you've done one, building all the remaining profiles is easy. One other point that some may not realize is that you need QuadTone RIP; it's shareware so it's up to each individual to pay the requested license fee. Oh, I almost forgot, I work on Windows which is a slightly different process from working on a Mac.

Anyway, bottom line is that I highly recommend Richard's program. I had been using Mark Nelson's Precision Digital Negatives system for many years, but Richard's program is much easier to understand and use, and the results are equally good.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Not really hard at all. IMO, the hardest part is figuring out the workflow based on which spectrophotometer you're using. If using an I1 like what Richard uses, it's certainly more straightforward, but if using something like a ColorMunki (which is what I used) not so much. But, Richard is a very helpful guy if you need help and, once you've done one, building all the remaining profiles is easy. One other point that some may not realize is that you need QuadTone RIP; it's shareware so it's up to each individual to pay the requested license fee. Oh, I almost forgot, I work on Windows which is a slightly different process from working on a Mac.

Anyway, bottom line is that I highly recommend Richard's program. I had been using Mark Nelson's Precision Digital Negatives system for many years, but Richard's program is much easier to understand and use, and the results are equally good.

Hope this helps.
    Did you need the spectrometer to read the patches? or can this be done after scanning the printed material of process you are using and using his program?
    I have quadtone program, Ron Reeder installed it for us,

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    One other point that some may not realize is that you need QuadTone RIP
    And also that QuadTone Rip (QTR) only supports Epson printers.
    Platinum Palladium Printer
    The Cunningham Press

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Did you need the spectrometer to read the patches? or can this be done after scanning the printed material of process you are using and using his program?
    I have quadtone program, Ron Reeder installed it for us,
    I think you need the spectro because the patches are directly read. However, I'm not sure if you can or can't use a scanner. I'd suggest contacting Richard for that info.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cunningham View Post
    And also that QuadTone Rip (QTR) only supports Epson printers.
    Yes, thank you for mentioning that Paul. Richard's program only supports Epson K3 inks, too. So, it's kind of an Epson-centric thing.

it's about the image, not the equipment.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

I use my densitometer to read the patches, don't need a spectrophotometer to use Richards program. I found for my printer(epson p600) that his starter curve was perfect and only needed linearization for different processes. It's really simple.