Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Expensive fake lens boards !

Expensive fake lens boards !

Recently I've noticed an increased number of " fake new old stock " lens boards on E*y . I understand someone making cheap "4 or 6 pieces glued " lens boards for a living but to sell and pass them as original and authentic " 3 pieces assembled and glued " it's just not right ! Specially when charging over $100,00 for them . Those 4 pieces lens boards can be made in a kitchen with a hand saw , a copy saw and carpents glue . A properly made lens board will last 100 years and never come apart .If someone wants to make and sell lens boards , they should sell them with their name or brand and give whatever warranty they see fit . The reason I'm bringing this up is because I bought two of them when they first showed up some years ago . They didn't even fit my camera and weren't even square . Now I see some being passed as original old stock with a tag price of a $100,00 , that's too much ! My fellow forum members , know what you are buying ! Use you hardly earned money wisely ! A solid wooden lens board should be made of three pieces of wood with tongue and groove joints . You shouldn't pay more than $20,00 for a glued up board of two , four or six pieces without joints . Anyways , that's my two cents !
    Last edited by ederphoto; 3-May-2018 at 18:12.

Re: Expensive fake lens boards !

I'll bet you $100, eBay will do nothing about the scam no matter how many times you report it and no matter what BS the agents tell you when you contact them.

QUOTE=consummate_fritterer;1443262]I'll bet you $100, eBay will do nothing about the scam no matter how many times you report it and no matter what BS the agents tell you when you contact them.[/QUOTE]

You are right ! I just hope the most large format users that buy on E**y are members here and see this . Other than giving the unscrupulous seller a negative feedback and filling a claim to get your money back , there's nothing else you can do . E**y will allow him to continue his bad business practices and the novice large format users are the ones loosing . Money they could spend on film is waisted on crap lens boards . Sad !

Somebody picking up "sample" hardwood pieces in Home Depot and making lens boards out of them. I'm all FOR capitalism. I'm dead set against mis-representation and outright lying.

That said, I've got a sweet new old stock Burke and James 4 1/2" lens board in the original Burke and James box if anyone wants it for a hun.

Quote Originally Posted by ederphoto View Post
    Recently I've noticed an increased number of " fake new old stock " lens boards on E*y . I understand someone making cheap "4 pieces glued " lens boards for a living but to sell and pass them as original and authentic " 3 pieces assembled and glued ", it's just not right ! Specially when charging over $100,00 for them . Those 4 pieces lens boards can be made in a kitchen with a hand saw , a copy saw and carpents glue . A properly made lens board will last 100 years and never come apart .If someone wants to make and sell lens boards , they should sell them with their name or brand and give whatever warranty they see fit . The reason I'm bringing this up is because I bought two of them when they first showed up some years ago . They didn't even fit my camera and weren't even square . Now I see some being passed as original old stock with a tag price of a $100,00 , that's too much ! My fellow forum members , know what you are buying ! Use you hardly earned money wisely ! A solid wooden lens board should be made of three pieces of wood with tongue and groove joints . You shouldn't pay more than $20,00 for a glued up board of two , four or six pieces without joints . Anyways , that's my two cents !
    I looked at eBay and didn't see any. Do you have a link to an example?

Are you referring to boards with possibly counterfeited OEM envelopes?

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Are you referring to boards with possibly counterfeited OEM envelopes?
    No . I'm referring to the ones that even my 8 year old can make . I'm not against capitalism ! I'm all for it ! I'm against the exploitation and false claim of authenticity .

Link or example of what to look out for?

I won't put any lens over $150,00 in one of these , 6 pieces glued on , no tongue and groove joints . Some go for $22,0 which is fair but now some are being sold for $99,00 and up to $199,00 !!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FOTO_20180503_175315.jpg  

Give us a link please.