Thread: 4x5 Macro

4x5 Macro

Would something like a 100mm Symmar-S in #0 shutter with the cells reversed be an excellent performer for macro imaging in the 1:1 to 6:1 range? The Symmar-S is optimized for 1:3 with the cells in normal position, right? At 1:1 the lens should easily cover 4x5.

Re: 4x5 Macro

No, wrong, yes.

Since, however, no two photographers work to the same standard, try the lens out to find out whether it performs well enough at that range of magnifications to satisfy your requirements. None of us knows how good is good enough for you so none of us can tell you whether the lens in hand will work well enough to suit you.

If the Symmar-S isn't good enough, consider (I'm not kidding) a 105/4.5 Comparon. The Comparon is an enlarging Xenar and optimized for 2x to 6x magnifications.

A macro or Apo Macro would be far better. And much easier to operate then a reversed 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    A macro or Apo Macro would be far better. And much easier to operate then a reversed 100.
    But Bob, reversing a lens in a #0 requires swapping the cells front to rear. The shutter doesn't have to be turned around. Were you thinking of a lens in a #1?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    But Bob, reversing a lens in a #0 requires swapping the cells front to rear. The shutter doesn't have to be turned around. Were you thinking of a lens in a #1?
    Just pure performance, the macros will be far better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Just pure performance, the macros will be far better.
    Agreed. But I was responding to your comment
    much easier to operate then a reversed 100

Mr. Fromm, would I reverse the cells of a 105 Comparon?

Mr. Salomon, I need a lens I can afford to buy. I will look for a true macro but doubt I can afford one.

Yes. The cells are direct fits in a Compur/Copal #0 shutter. These shutters have the same threading -- M29.5x0.5 -- front and rear. I have one in #0. Compur/Copal #1 shutters are threaded asymmetrically -- M40x0.75 in front, M36x0.75 in the rear.

Thank you, sir.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

For 4x5 and 5x7 I use the 120mm Nikkor AM-ED which I bought new for just a couple of hundred dollars - B&H don't do that anymore and ebay stopped sending out 20% off coupons for up to a $1000 purchase! That was the good ol' days.

Thomas