Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making new Belliws

Making new Belliws

*bellows

I'm new to LF. Just picked up an 8x10 woody by Ralph J Golsen CA. 1920s-ish. Would love if anyone had helpful suggestions for folks building new bellows for old machines like this, very preferably in red and also preferably in a newer synthetic material. Aiming for below the $200 price point if possible. Not sure what's realistic.

Many thanks for any assistance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TINYuproar; 30-Apr-2018 at 12:22. Reason: "Bellows" spelled wrong in title.

Re: Making new Belliws

Out of curiosity, will the back accept standard 810 film holders?

$200 is likely not realistic. Figure more like $350+
    If you want it done right, remove the bellows, with frames intact and send it to Custom Bellows in the UK...

http://www.custombellows.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Out of curiosity, will the back accept standard 810 film holders?
    I honestly have no idea. It's a bit of a project. Looks to be all there. Just bought it Sunday. Should have it to my house by the 3rd (Thursday). I'm pretty much as green as it gets. I have 4x5 experience with cut film/Polaroid/Grafmatic backs. But I've never touched an 8x10. I'm sortof picking things up from reading a lot. But it's markedly noticable that I had to buy a project if I wanted to try my hand at this. New 810 cameras are I'm the $5k USD range and I'm more around the $300-$500 range. Honestly, any info anybody can rustle up would be helpful. I've been studying the new 810 cameras from Intrepid for design clues on how to do proper repairs on this one. There are so few video/how to resources on each camera model. So much is DIY and just kind of make it up as you go. If you've got great resources I'm all eyes and ears. The LF culture seems pretty lacking here in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    $200 is likely not realistic. Figure more like $350+
    If you want it done right, remove the bellows, with frames intact and send it to Custom Bellows in the UK...

http://www.custombellows.co.uk/
    Thank you for that more realistic ballpark. Your advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TINYuproar View Post
    I honestly have no idea. It's a bit of a project. Looks to be all there. Just bought it Sunday. Should have it to my house by the 3rd (Thursday). I'm pretty much as green as it gets. I have 4x5 experience with cut film/Polaroid/Grafmatic backs. But I've never touched an 8x10. I'm sortof picking things up from reading a lot. But it's markedly noticable that I had to buy a project if I wanted to try my hand at this. New 810 cameras are I'm the $5k USD range and I'm more around the $300-$500 range. Honestly, any info anybody can rustle up would be helpful. I've been studying the new 810 cameras from Intrepid for design clues on how to do proper repairs on this one. There are so few video/how to resources on each camera model. So much is DIY and just kind of make it up as you go. If you've got great resources I'm all eyes and ears. The LF culture seems pretty lacking here in the US.

Before spending any more money make sure that it accepts film holders, the shutter works, the front and back standards are properly aligned.

$5000.00 won’t get you into many 810 cameras. Some new ones are more then twice that!

Yeah, I don't really understand the price-points. What the heck establishes these crazy high values? It's a box, for exposing giant film. I have a stunning 4x5 made of precision machined and cast aluminum. It's a Linhof from Germany from the 30s. If I didn't know better, I would think Apple made it with a CNC machine last year.

It was $300, with 12-15 dark slides, and the lens, in pristine condition.

So...why does doubling the camera size and making out of modern aluminum components make it $8k-$10k?!?!?!

The project 810 I bought was $180. I talked him down a bit due to required repair work. But just the darn dark-slides are $150+ EACH. WHY?! Same plastics and design and form as all my 4x5... But 10x more expensive. It doesn't make economic sense.

Also, that lens shutter is shot. But I've adapted an oscilloscope lens shutter to be front mounted on a 210mm brass Petzval lens. I've been using it on my Linhof, but it's got coverage for an 8x10. So the lens is no issue. It's more about figuring out how the back works, or building one to take the 810 holders. But I want to shoot tintypes/Polaroid. So it needs to be modular, too.

Quote Originally Posted by TINYuproar View Post
    Yeah, I don't really understand the price-points. What the heck establishes these crazy high values? It's a box, for exposing giant film. I have a stunning 4x5 made of precision machined and cast aluminum. It's a Linhof from Germany from the 30s. If I didn't know better, I would think Apple made it with a CNC machine last year.

It was $300, with 12-15 dark slides, and the lens, in pristine condition.

So...why does doubling the camera size and making out of modern aluminum components make it $8k-$10k?!?!?!

The project 810 I bought was $180. I talked him down a bit due to required repair work. But just the darn dark-slides are $150+ EACH. WHY?! Same plastics and design and form as all my 4x5... But 10x more expensive. It doesn't make economic sense.

Also, that lens shutter is shot. But I've adapted an oscilloscope lens shutter to be front mounted on a 210mm brass Petzval lens. I've been using it on my Linhof, but it's got coverage for an 8x10. So the lens is no issue. It's more about figuring out how the back works, or building one to take the 810 holders. But I want to shoot tintypes/Polaroid. So it needs to be modular, too.

Yes, but you bought it used, not new. Wages when it was made were a fraction of today’s wages. Many steps were done by very well trained apprentices. There was a very large retail market for 810 among pros, industry, military, illustrative, advertising, architecture, etc.. those markets don’t really exist today, new camera sales are a small fraction of earlier years. Film is factors more expensive, so is processing! Modern versions on 810 Linhof today, which are made with modern CNC and other modern finishing techniques drive prices into the 5 and 6 figure ranch!
    On top of that Schneider, Rodenstock, Fuji, and Nikon no longer manufacture lenses for 810 and Copal and Prontor Werke no longer manufacture shutters for lenses for those lenses.

You have to really be dedicated to shoot 810 today. Especially when the cost of 45 is a fraction of the size, weigh and cost between the two sizes and a 4x print = 20x16 would be very difficult to better from 810. Not to mention the added difficulties of film supply, film developing, film printing, film storage, etc..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Contact Barry Young. I recently purchased both of his books ("Building an 8x10 Camera" and "Modern Bellowsmaking"). Money well spent. PM here.

I'd consider ordering bellows from chinese makers on *bay. Those will be cheaper, and rather good quality wise. As for other parts - I know several photogs, shooting 8x10 on a shoestring. X-Ray film, paper negs, oilprints, cyanotype, contact printing etc. Not exactly the most economical way of spending, but it works.