Thread: Kreuznach Schneider

Kreuznach Schneider

I am looking to buy a 210mm 5.6F APO Schneider - I notice on auctions sites that some of these lens are labeled: Kreuznach Schneider.... and some just Schneider...

Is there any difference in the lens design / type / performance or is does the inclusion of Kreuznach mean nothing?

Re: Kreuznach Schneider

One is made prior to their bankruptcy in the 80s and the other after divisions were spun off and Heinrich Mandermann bought what was left after the bankruptcy.
    But I believe all Apo Symmar versions are post bankruptcy.

Kreuznach is simply the city where Schneider is/was based. The Symmar-S line was introduced around 1972 and multicoated later in the 70s. The Apo-Symmar lenses were introduced around 1990. Symmar-S, Symmar-S multicoated, Apo-Symmar, I've used examples of each; they all are top-quality lenses. The 135mm Apo-Symmar I used had quite remarkable color rendition and contrast, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Kreuznach is simply the city where Schneider is/was based. The Symmar-S line was introduced around 1972 and multicoated later in the 70s. The Apo-Symmar lenses were introduced around 1990. Symmar-S, Symmar-S multicoated, Apo-Symmar, I've used examples of each; they all are top-quality lenses. The 135mm Apo-Symmar I used had quite remarkable color rendition and contrast, but you can't go wrong with any of them.
    Bad Kreuznach