Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hello from the US midwest

Re: Hello from the US midwest

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    About 1994 the OL Miss flooded plain went all the way to Des Moines. I was driving back from the real Mid West and couldn't get off 80 because it was all deep water, until the state of ILL.

Date of the year may be off.
    My wife says it was 1993, Randy. I'm a member of the River Des Peres Yacht Club. They were sand bagging the River Des Pere to prevent homes from being flooded back then.

As Mike knows, the River Des Peres is just a long drainage ditch. The Yacht Club is a joke around here. People even had T-shirts made up at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    My wife says it was 1993, Randy. I'm a member of the River Des Peres Yacht Club. They were sand bagging the River Des Pere to prevent homes from being flooded back then.

As Mike knows, the River Des Peres is just a long drainage ditch. The Yacht Club is a joke around here. People even had T-shirts made up at one time.
    I moved to Winona in 1990. The flood in question was 1993. In our area we had other big river floods later, but our very worst in terms of lost lives have been flash floods due to local rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I moved to Winona in 1990. The flood in question was 1993. In our area we had other big river floods later, but our very worst in terms of lost lives have been flash floods due to local rain.
    Yeah, I knew it was 1993. My wife is never wrong. If you don't believe me you can just ask her.

Actually, my wife, Cindy, was pregnant with our daughter at the time so she remembers it well.

Otherwise known as the Sewer Des Peres.

The flood of '93 pre-dates me, I didn't move to St. Louis until 2001. Thank you for the welcome, I live 3 blocks from Bevo Mill.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMGB View Post
    Otherwise known as the Sewer Des Peres.

The flood of '93 pre-dates me, I didn't move to St. Louis until 2001. Thank you for the welcome, I live 3 blocks from Bevo Mill.
    We are glad to have you. I know where Bevo Mill is. I was raised in Affton, close to you. I've lived in St. Louis all my life. First North St. Louis, then Affton, St. George and now Brentwood.

Yeah, River Des Peres can have a fragrant bouquet.

Your wife is exactly right (of course!), Alan. My ex worked for the Army Aviation Command on Goodfellow. We lived outside Edwardsville and saw the devastation first-hand. Looked almost surreal.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodhoundbob View Post
    Your wife is exactly right (of course!), Alan. My ex worked for the Army Aviation Command on Goodfellow. We lived outside Edwardsville and saw the devastation first-hand. Looked almost surreal.
    Yeah, it did look surreal. The Chesterfield valley here was all under water. At Rumbach's farm they have marked the trees to show how high the water got. We used to go there every October for the pumpkin patch and Halloween display.

If you are talking about the base on Goodfellow, years ago there was a garage there that was rehabbed into an exercise facility for the troops. I did the HVAC for it.

Yeah, it did look surreal. The Chesterfield valley here was all under water. At Rumbach's farm they have marked the trees to show how high the water got. We used to go there every October for the pumpkin patch and Halloween display.

If you are talking about the base on Goodfellow, years ago there was a garage there that was rehabbed into an exercise facility for the troops. I did the HVAC for it.
    I imagine we are talking about the same location, Alan. I only visited there a few times to drop her off or pick her up. The Defense Department, in its infinite wisdom, moved the command from St Louis to Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, Alabama in 1997, even though there were more personnel and logistics in St Louis than Huntsville. I'm sure the move south had nothing to do with the political clout of Senator Shelby, who just happens to be from Alabama.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMGB View Post
    Excellent! I have a 1971 MGBGT and a 1979 MGB with a Buick 215 V8 up front.

There's something about hauling a vintage camera out of a vintage car at your chosen photo location.
    A 74 B here. Welcome.

Les

I've known a guy with MG-C, but that was pretty much previous life. Welcome to the forum, Mike.

Les