Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8x10 Wetplate/Tintype - Chamonix vs Svedovsky advice

Re: 8x10 Wetplate/Tintype - Chamonix vs Svedovsky advice

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    Buy used, you won't be so worried about silver stains on your camera, you'll also save enough to buy a spare camera, just in case.....
    Do you have any recommendations on used models to look out for - I particularly want a foldable field camera that isn't stupidly heavy.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by gearu View Post
    Do you have any recommendations on used models to look out for - I particularly want a foldable field camera that isn't stupidly heavy.
    Remember, if you're working in the field, you're already carrying along a full darkroom and post-processing washing and drying facility, water included. After carrying that, worrying about an extra five or ten pounds on the camera is frivolous...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

And if you are shooting in the studio the camera weight doesn't matter either...

If you want a light foldable 8x10 then expect to pay for it (except for the Intrepid) and if you want something that cost significantly less (about 1/4th the price of a new camera) then you normally end up sacrificing weight.

You mention that you are new to large format in your first post. What cameras do you have already (if any)? If this is your first camera it might actually make more sense to start off with a 4x5 camera rather than 8x10 if you haven't tried large format already. Have you given any thought as to how you are going to scan or print the photos you plan to make with large format?

Quote Originally Posted by axs810 View Post
    If you want a light foldable 8x10 then expect to pay for it (except for the Intrepid) and if you want something that cost significantly less (about 1/4th the price of a new camera) then you normally end up sacrificing weight.
    storage space is a consideration too - which is another factor in favour of light and foldable
    I don't mind paying a bit extra to have one camera which is versatile, and which can also be portable if I want to go shoot a bit of film without all the wetplate gear as well.

Quote Originally Posted by axs810 View Post
    You mention that you are new to large format in your first post. What cameras do you have already (if any)? If this is your first camera it might actually make more sense to start off with a 4x5 camera rather than 8x10 if you haven't tried large format already. Have you given any thought as to how you are going to scan or print the photos you plan to make with large format?
    This will be my first large format camera. I've done a workshop and had some hands on experience - however, I have some photo projects in mind for wetplate, and I'd prefer to execute those on 8x10 - which is why I want to just buy everything for 8x10 size , and then do initial testing on a 4x5 reducing back to practice - but be able to move to 8x10 without needing to re-buy everything again
    I'm a member of a local darkroom which has access to all variety of developing, scanning and enlargers that can handle up to 8x10 format. But my initial plans are to mainly focus on wetplate experiments