Thread: Interesting curiosity: K L Biggs Gee Pee 4x5 camera, claimed to be aerial

Interesting curiosity: K L Biggs Gee Pee 4x5 camera, claimed to be aerial

For your amusement and edification.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180423...2/362301646440

I doubt it is an aerial camera. Aerial cameras are typically fixed focus and their lenses typically have radial pins at the front to accept spring-loaded filter holders. And its been quite a long time since they were single-shot. On the other hand, the lens is on a cone that bolts to the body. Might be a press camera. Its Copal 1 shutter might be a replacement.

Modular as can be, I think. Any ideas what the thumb screws on top are for?

Re: Interesting curiosity: K L Biggs Gee Pee 4x5 camera, claimed to be aerial

The lens is coated and post- WWII. I had one for a while, in a Compur shutter. Obviously the Copal shutter is fairly modern. So likely not original to the body?
    It could very well be an aerial camera body- perhaps a roll-film back like a Graflex or Linhof 70mm. Certainly meant for hand-held use- like out the window of a Shackleton patrol plane? A curiosity indeed.

You can get information from the "horse's mouth" here!

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...onorail-camera

hey

I had /have a 4x5 made by that company..I remember those handles

I think it was an aerial camera and it came w/o a lens..so I disassembled it and built a fixed focus hand held 4x5 out of the parts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    You can get information from the "horse's mouth" here!

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...onorail-camera
    Been there, read that, am not sure I recommend it.

More seriously, I have a couple of BJP annuals in my library. K L Biggs advertised enlarger in them. No mention of aerial cameras.

Not to change the subject or anything, but why does the presence of a hand grip (or grips) on a 4x5 camera make people think "aerial camera?" I ask because aerial cameras are fixed focus and the Gee Pee, like the ever so slightly similar Peckham Wray, has a focusing mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Not to change the subject or anything, but why does the presence of a hand grip (or grips) on a 4x5 camera make people think "aerial camera?" I ask because aerial cameras are fixed focus and the Gee Pee, like the ever so slightly similar Peckham Wray, has a focusing mechanism.
    People likely think aerial because real handheld aerial cameras have such grips, but we know that. The Gee Pee is a confusing camera and as-is would not be a good press camera - unless maybe those knobs on the top of the back allow removal of the plate below to replace it with an uncoupled rangefinder ... but still, a kludge.

An early advert for the Peckham Wray described it as an air-to-air camera, and articles of its production called it a press camera. I call it a camera that shakes its focusing mechanism straight to disrepair in turbulence. We have another member here who has two of them.

My work in progress:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	177503

(The four mount points for the viewfinder, both grips and tripod mount can be removed should I make a rotating mount for aircraft, possibly remote controlled. Fat chance, but .... well, maybe.)
    Last edited by Jac@stafford.net; 24-Apr-2018 at 14:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Modular as can be, I think. Any ideas what the thumb screws on top are for?
    Looks like they are for the viewfinder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	177495

Ya nailed it, Brick!

Gee Pee - General Purpose?