Thread: Verito 6 1/8 inch lens with fungus in front element

Verito 6 1/8 inch lens with fungus in front element

I have obtained at a very low cost a 6 1/8 inch Verito in a barrel. The front element has fungus (reason is was so cheap) and I am wondering if this a cemented doublet or is this just a single piece of glass with a cemented doublet at the rear. I have checked using google but could not find a definitive answer. Any help/advice greatly appreciated. I assume if the front eleemnt is a single piece of glass I would be able to clean it?

loujon

Re: Verito 6 1/8 inch lens with fungus in front element

Hey Simon
    Yes the front cell of the Verito is a single element

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Louis is quite right, single element at the front, cemented doublet at the rear, (which can be used as a Landscape Lens by itself). It's possible someone reversed them. I'd soak the offending element in bleach overnight, and fume the rest in a closed container above some bleach to kill any remaining fungus.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Thank you Louis and Mark. I cleaned the back of the front element with a weak bleach solution and the fungus was removed immediately and there is no damage or etching to the glass. I now have the front and back elements resting above bleach in a closed container so that should hopefully kill any remaining fungus. We finally have sun in Ottawa so I will leave it in sunlight tomorrow. Thanks for the help and advice!

I don't know that soaking a cemented element in anything is a good idea.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

1. The fungus is likely dead. They soon run out of necesary "food" in a glass/brass/paint environment.

2. Fungus spores are everywhere in our living spaces. Obviously, it would be a good idea to clean away all obvious traces. Keeping the lens clean and in a dry atmosphere from now on is more important!

3. I don't understand the use of bleach. Ordinary cleaning will likely remove all traces of fungus growth (On a non-coated lens). Even if the fungus is active, there is no need to use "killer" chemicals. Remember that glass is classified a super-cooled liquid - not a solid, and strange things can happen with soaking for period. I have had two lenses that "devitrified" in quite dilute solutions.

4. The good thing is that I have never seen anything worse than some "blooming" patches on the lens surfaces - on non-coated glass.

Later.

Oh, you have already done a wipe on the lenses. Remember the inside of the barrel. Sun is quite unnecessary.

I just had both elements in the open above a weak solution of bleach so the fumes could do the final job of killing any spores within the lens barrel. None of the elements were immersed in the bleach solution. I have now removed the elements from the fume area, wiped it again gently and put it back together.

Interestingly the front and back elements screw directly into an Alphax 3 shutter with the proper spacing. (I presume a Betax 3 would also work). Thanks for all the advice gentlemen.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

The fungus obviously found enough "necessary food" to grow a visible colony, and likely left behind spores to start a new colony. Best to eradicate it by fuming. Note that I only recommended soaking the single uncemented element. I very seriously doubt glass would devitrify in a household bleach solution. Until fairly recently, concentrated bleaches were sold and stored in glass bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    1. The fungus is likely dead. They soon run out of necesary "food" in a glass/brass/paint environment.

2. Fungus spores are everywhere in our living spaces. Obviously, it would be a good idea to clean away all obvious traces. Keeping the lens clean and in a dry atmosphere from now on is more important!

3. I don't understand the use of bleach. Ordinary cleaning will likely remove all traces of fungus growth (On a non-coated lens). Even if the fungus is active, there is no need to use "killer" chemicals. Remember that glass is classified a super-cooled liquid - not a solid, and strange things can happen with soaking for period. I have had two lenses that "devitrified" in quite dilute solutions.

4. The good thing is that I have never seen anything worse than some "blooming" patches on the lens surfaces - on non-coated glass.

Later.

Oh, you have already done a wipe on the lenses. Remember the inside of the barrel. Sun is quite unnecessary.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I wouldn't compare the characteristics of very diferent types of optical glass - some very close to alchemy -with the more domestic-use varieties!

I think initial growth is mostly dependent on a period of high humidty/Condensation. It is most common on the inside surfaces of lenses - away from circulating air - whilst there is most "food" (dust) and spores on exterior lens surfaces. The fungus growth I have seen on lenses (19th century) has been very sparce - very thin web type - with no real attachment to the glass surface. Now coated lenses which are attacked, are a very different story! They look like a skin complaint.