Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rodenstock Grandagon N f6.8 75mn

Re: Rodenstock Grandagon N f6.8 75mn

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Well, not completely close to menaningles: It also shows that even suposedly outdated lenses still have an insane amount of resolving power, having to enlarge to wall size to see the limit.

A test with the lenses you point also it would be really interesting, on the paper a 210 Apo Sironar S should be optically superior than a 210 Sironar N, but what I'd like to know is in what situations we could see a real difference, and at what enlargement. Sure that in the circle boundary it's easier to see diferences...
    Go look at the curves, Dan should have them on his site.

It isn’t just resolution, it’s also distortion, fall off, color, all combine to make the difference, as well as the circle of illumination.

Answer could be in what will this 72mm -75mm lens be used for?

Here are all three lined up for size comparison. The 72mm SAXL takes a 95mm filter, 75mm f4,5 Grandagon takes a 67mm filter, 75mm f6.8 Grandagon takes a 58mm filter and is very compact.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72mm SAXL, 75mm f4.5 & f6.8 G.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	177489

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72mm SAXL, 75mm f4.5 & f6.8 G_top view.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	177490

The 72mm SAXL has a bit more contrast than the Grandagon of the "N" mc vintage. 72mm is used on 5x7 as a extreme wide and this is not a "common cup of tea" for most. This focal length on 4x5 is considered a very wide angle lens producing quite exaggerated near to far perspective, this effect is much greater when the 72mm is used on 5x7. For this group, the 75mm is used on 6x9 as a moderate wide.

Is the 72mm worth the extra cost over the 75mm f6.8 Grandagon, only if the extra image circle size is absolutely needed IMO.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Exactly my thoughts.

I and I am thinking about grandagon. I really would like the 72mm, but its a 1000 bucks and the Nikkor is 500. Hmmm, could get the grandagon, the nikkor and the schneider, see which one I like and sell the other two. Like I said though, the 72 would be my first choice, if I can convince my wife. Since it is purely mechanical it could last forever if taken care of. Can't say that about a modern lens.

How about the Fuji 75mm SWD f5.6 with an IC of 196mm

Do not have or ever used the 75mm f5.6 Fujinon SWD.

Do have the 65mm f5,6 Fujinon SWD, it is GOOD. similar to the Grandagon in contrast overall performance. It does have a slightly cooler color rendition when compared to the European brands. Otherwise, there is little wrong with the Fujinon f5.6 SWD series.

If the 75mm f5.6 SWD Fujinon is being considered, the 75mm f5.6 Schneider Super Angulon needs to be considered.

Suggest, if the larger image circle of the 72mm SAXL is not needed, pick one of of the 75mm wide angle lenses, try it and from there. Most are can be purchased for a small percentage of their original cost today. It really comes down to trying out the specific lens for your n=image making conditions and needs to figure out which of these choices meets your needs best.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    How about the Fuji 75mm SWD f5.6 with an IC of 196mm

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Do not have or ever used the 75mm f5.6 Fujinon SWD.

Do have the 65mm f5,6 Fujinon SWD, it is GOOD. similar to the Grandagon in contrast overall performance. It does have a slightly cooler color rendition when compared to the European brands. Otherwise, there is little wrong with the Fujinon f5.6 SWD series.

If the 75mm f5.6 SWD Fujinon is being considered, the 75mm f5.6 Schneider Super Angulon needs to be considered.

Suggest, if the larger image circle of the 72mm SAXL is not needed, pick one of of the 75mm wide angle lenses, try it and from there. Most are can be purchased for a small percentage of their original cost today. It really comes down to trying out the specific lens for your n=image making conditions and needs to figure out which of these choices meets your needs best.

Bernice
    So many choices, so little money

My copy of the Grandagon N 75mm 6.8. is small, light and SHARP! I love this lens on 4x5.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by DG 3313 View Post
    My copy of the Grandagon N 75mm 6.8. is small, light and SHARP! I love this lens on 4x5.
    Don
    Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by DG 3313 View Post
    Don
    What camera do you use this on -- am asking because I have a Bender 4x5 and want to figure out if I can use it with my setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramanand View Post
    What camera do you use this on -- am asking because I have a Bender 4x5 and want to figure out if I can use it with my setup.
    The flange-to-film/optical register distance specified for the 75/6.8 Grandagon-N is 79 mm. That's how close together you need to be able to get the front and rear standards of your camera if you want to be able to focus to infinity.

75mm is a short focal length for many 4x5 view cameras. As previously mentioned, FFL is about 79mm which is the distance from the front of the lens board where the lens is mounted to the Ground Glass to focus this 75mm to infinity. If the Bender cannot collapses this far, a recessed lens board will be needed to sink-in the lens on the front standard to meet the required Flange Focal Length for focus at infinity.

If the Bender's front and rear standards are so far collapsed that a recessed lens board becomes mandatory using the standard/conventional bellows, camera movement will likely be impaired significantly. The common solution to this problem is to apply a bag bellows to allowing the front and rear camera standards to move with ease with both standards close together.

Bernice