Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie of sorts: Photoshop Now?

Re: Newbie of sorts: Photoshop Now?

There is another program free and highly capable, but a bit technical Rawtherepee. Although I prefer LR and PS. The cloud subscription isn't bad and allows me to use across platforms and different computers where ever I am at. To me that is a big plus.

I use Elements 11 to adjust my scanned large format negs, which include 8x10, 5x7 and 4x5 and so far, it's all I need. Then again, I don't have the knowledge base to do anything fancy in Photoshop. About all I do is try to mimic what I would normally do in the wet darkroom.

I just pay the $10 a month. Very happy with each improvement.

Adobe should be around for a while...

Adobe is not 'present' as they discuss their new products in the 3rd person as if they are an outside review of corporate BS. Strange and silly to read.

Today I completed an Adobe survey, I think they want to go complete cloud which won't work for me here in Internet wasteland. I have been paid $100's for Adobe Focus groups.

Where is our digital infrastructure?

I keep seeing more and more push from Adobe to become fully cloud-based. That may be easier for them, but lots of us are in that Internet wasteland and it doesn’t serve that situation even now. I’ve concluded that Adobe products do not represent a sustainable solution for me. I’m still using CS5.1 and will continue to do so until I can’t, but I cannot predict when that will occur. But at that time, I will probably install Affinity’s editing software and learn how to use it.

I am not a Lightroom user, but I need a raw developer with my new inbound camera. I don’t need a data asset manager, which Lightroom seems to force on its users. Capture One purposely won’t support my inbound camera (a Pentax 645z), so On1 Photo Raw is leading the pack at the moment.

Rick “who will be making more and larger digital images” Denney

I hate Lightroom! What a mess.

I file with my own system.

Next year a D850 and bigger files!

That said I retreated from a D800 to a D750 which is a 'better' behaving camera.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    I don’t need a data asset manager, which Lightroom seems to force on its users.
    Hi Rick,

Not to derail the thread, but let me chime in on LR. LR's raw editing is really great, and I use it exclusively for my digital files, with finishing done in PS for heavier editing.

I am a stickler for organization in my digital space. I have my photos grouped by year, date, and separated by raw images and finished sets. I can't stand any software taking that control away from me. In LR, when you import photos, you can select the folder it is stored in and tell it not to move or copy the file to LR's catalog. This is what I do and I never have any issues with it messing with my file structure. The LR catalog that holds the edit data on the files is stored in my User files and I back this up to my server once in a while so I have that available in case of a crash.

So you can definitely use LR w/o any of its cataloging. That said, I only use it with my Nikon DSLRs so I don't know if the RAW editing from Pentax's MF files is mature.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Drew; you can try everything Adobe for 30 days and uninstall it if you don't like, or commence monthly billing if it trials well.

I use LR for my nikon dSLR photos sort of like Bryan; I copy my photos from the camera card to computer where I want them, then import them into LR so their non-destructive changes are part of the catalog.

Nikon's software was crashing on me and being slow and buggy, so I dumped it happily for LR a few years ago and it's been a good change. Once upon a time, Nikon had some secret sauce that made their raw software do a nicer job. LR has caught up and it's faster and more reliable. LR and Photoshop current versions are both fast and efficient software.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    I keep seeing more and more push from Adobe to become fully cloud-based. That may be easier for them, but lots of us are in that Internet wasteland and it doesn’t serve that situation even now. I’ve concluded that Adobe products do not represent a sustainable solution for me. I’m still using CS5.1 and will continue to do so until I can’t, but I cannot predict when that will occur. But at that time, I will probably install Affinity’s editing software and learn how to use it.

I am not a Lightroom user, but I need a raw developer with my new inbound camera. I don’t need a data asset manager, which Lightroom seems to force on its users. Capture One purposely won’t support my inbound camera (a Pentax 645z), so On1 Photo Raw is leading the pack at the moment.

Rick “who will be making more and larger digital images” Denney
    RicK, I just looked at your proposed new software. Good it has existed since 2005. But i notice they sell upgrades? Despite Perpetual License. Genuine Fractals® technology! We have been down that path many years ago.

And we need more cash for https://www.on1.com/products/resize/

I hope you follow up with a review. I will wait.

I think the complete Adobe CC package is a great value for the price, but then again I use Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere Pro, Fuse, After Effects, Illustrator, and Acrobat. With the Quite Imposing imposition plug in. A couple of these I use every day, the rest once a week or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    RicK, I just looked at your proposed new software. Good it has existed since 2005. But i notice they sell upgrades? Despite Perpetual License. Genuine Fractals technology! We have been down that path many years ago.

And we need more cash for https://www.on1.com/products/resize/

I hope you follow up with a review. I will wait.
    Nothing’s free if it is maintained. But the Internet is replete with stories of automatic upgrades that broke workflows. A perpetual license means you can upgrade only when you want to. I’m using Photoshop CS5.1, which was released 7 years ago. It still works, so why upgrade? One reason is that the computer is now old, and may need to be replaced at some point, and the old version of PS might not work on it. I want to make sure there is an upgrade path.

I’m an intermittent user, and I upgrade infrequently enough that the rental model is much more expensive. I want to retain control over my own configuration management. I don’t use Office 365 for the same reason, and I use that software even more regularly.

And I have to pay for the bandwidth I use, or suffer slowdowns if I use too much. No wired internet service where I live, and that’s a lot more common than Silicon Valley decision makers realize.

Rick “who has spent the money to build redundancies on site” Denney