Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom cooling/air conditioning options

Drew Wiley

Re: Darkroom cooling/air conditioning options

Hmmm ... or you could simply move to the California coast where the air conditioning is natural. Very low heating bills, and no AC expense. If you live long
    enough you could amortize the cost of buying a house around here. Certain trees live that long.

Two years ago I installed window AC in a small upstairs darkroom. The unit was a regular $150 5000BTu device which like most AC units these days has the internal air duct made from molded polystyrene. With sunlight outside this lit up like a floodlamp and was unusable. Being a practical sort of guy I bought a can of black interior latex paint and opened up the AC. Using a small assortment of small brushes I was able to black out the air duct on the inside using the black paint. This wasn't enough, in full sun there were still leaks. In the end I added an exterior top cover plate made from sheet metal and spaced about an inch above the AC case, this kept full sun off the fan housing, the result was a big improvement. This took a few hours to complete, however the end result was worth it, cool darkroom.

I would strongly advise against the stand alone portable ac units. They take up precious floor space but are also noisy as hell. A window unit has most of the business hanging outside so should be quieter and should be light tight enough as long as you seal around the unit where it meets the window.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Home Depot sells a AC/Heating window unit for about $429. The problem with a split unit is they don't allow outside air in. Pretty much any window unit I've seen lets in light. I have the same problem with my darkroom and I have a baffle in place, but some light still gets in. I have to get in there and rethink the light baffle for the AC unit,

I'm going to throw my hat into the ring for a mini-split. You really should get one with Variable Refrigerant Flow (VRF). Mitsubishi is the class leader with it's Mr. Slim product lines. The nice thing is that you'll get very efficient AC, good dehumidification during monsoon season, no light leaks and, if you ever accidentally have a winter, you'll get heating out of it too.

With a window type AC, air flow is an issue, because it is located in the window, and that may not be how you want the air flow to be.
    You may be able to cobble together a DIY duct system to route the cool air to where you want the air source to come out.
    Then make an exhaust over/behind the chemical trays.

If you are willing to pay the extra cost I think the split unit is a great way to go. We installed one out at work recently, they take up almost no space inside and are very efficient. I have one of the portable units in my darkroom. The newer ones aren’t that noisy but they do take up precious floor space. The tubing is not light right either, I had to build a light baffle where it vents to the outside. A window unit would be my second choice after a split unit for the space savings.

Jason Windingstad

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Hmmm ... or you could simply move to the California coast where the air conditioning is natural. Very low heating bills, and no AC expense. If you live long
    enough you could amortize the cost of buying a house around here. Certain trees live that long.
    You’re actually the second person this week that suggested I move to California. Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something.

Jason Windingstad

I appreciate everyone’s input on this. I’m leaning towards the mini split for its efficiency, heating and cooling abilities, and ease of light proofing. After some research it looks like I can install it myself without too much difficulty.

My small window unit does leak light, if I needed it in my darkroom I would open up the front end and spray the interior of the vents with flat black spray paint.