Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boots

Re: Boots

Quote Originally Posted by HT Finley View Post
    Down here in NC, cotton socks are cheap and do very nicely in most cases. I found that wearing 2 pairs is OK. It's rare to be in a condition where you could get a dangerous frostbite. I should have reckoned I'd get some extreme responses, given the widespread nature of the internet. I believe I was just fishing for someone who knew the brand of boots like Timberland (work boots), but don't clog up so bad. People up North have a whole different situation. I have an idea that up there and Canada that some serious Battle-of-the-Bulge or North Korea style outdoorsmanship can really be a matter of freezing your toes dead. I promise you if it's below about 43 degrees I'll just not go out with my chainsaw or camera. We don't get a whole lot of sub freezing days all day long. Maybe a 10 day stretch or 2 weeks but none of that stuff they get up north.
    Look for Irish Setters with prairie soles if you don't want to track mud.
    I originally bought mine for the desert ---uninsulated, but they make an insulated version as well.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I've had good luck with Asolo hiking boots.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Foamer

My work boots are Catepillars, with steel toes. Mostly only use them around the farm though--the steel toes get cold in winter. For work boots I'd suggest going to your local farm & ranch store. They'll have a good selection and what they stock will be quality. The newer boots with a lot of Cordura nylon are turning out to wear better than the all leather ones I have. As for brand, my philosophy is to try them on. If they feel good, they are good. Still don't like cotton socks though. They just get wet and stay wet.

Here's a list of the work boots that Bomgaars carries in my regional farm & ranch store, to give you an idea:
    http://www.bomgaars.com/departments/footwear/

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Had a chance yesterday to use my Vasque Talus Trek Ultradry boots I purchased last summer from REI in Greensboro. Footwear is, I think, a very personal item. One man's steak is another man's boiled beets. Both have nutritional value, but the gustatory experience is vastly different.

I have always been very difficult to fit for shoes and recall painful trips with my mom to the shoe store as a very young child. I don't think I could ever buy online for that reason.
    But, as mentioned above, REI has a very generous return policy for members which was the final straw in getting me to part with my hard-earned cash.

Yesterday's outing at Hanging Rock SP was mild by any standard. A very short loop (0.3 miles, I believe, one-way). The boots proved splendid. It was my legs, knees, lungs and back that were the limiting factor, by far. Now, I never went as far as splashing about in the water, so can't speak to water repellency. But the boots and my feet were never part of my discomfort.
    Or, perhaps, the rest of me was in enough pain and discomfort to mask any discomfort from the feet. But I am diabetic and deal daily with the associated neuropathy in my feet. I think I found a great pair of boots (for me). YMMV.

Perhaps not "work" boots, but I have both low- and mid-cut Merrill Moab 2 hiking shoes and plan on getting the high-cut boots next. I've actually switched all of my shoes to Merrills - I LOVE the Moabs.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Foamer

I have a pair of the all leather Moabs and mostly wear those for summer hikes. They are very sturdy. I call them my "adventure shoes."

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

+1 For Catepillars, after years of wearing Wolverines. Got my Catepillars at Academy Sports. Also, even after going to Redwing store (and being dissapointed), I went with Catepillars and also wear Sketchers. Again Academy has lots (here).

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    My work boots are Catepillars, with steel toes. Mostly only use them around the farm though--the steel toes get cold in winter. For work boots I'd suggest going to your local farm & ranch store. They'll have a good selection and what they stock will be quality. The newer boots with a lot of Cordura nylon are turning out to wear better than the all leather ones I have. As for brand, my philosophy is to try them on. If they feel good, they are good. Still don't like cotton socks though. They just get wet and stay wet.

Here's a list of the work boots that Bomgaars carries in my regional farm & ranch store, to give you an idea:

Kent in SD
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Red Wing boots made in Red Wing, Minnesota.
    (Not their foreign mades.)

Lifetime rebuilds. Great fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post

Kent in SD
    If you look around some places have work boots with "composite" safety toes. I don't know if they are carbon fiber or fiberglass or what, but some protection beats no protection.

Here you go:
    http://www.redwingshoes.com/leather-boots
    I refer to them as Irish Setter. My bad.
    My pair are over 25 years old and I'll send them in for resoling and restoration before too long.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White