Thread: Help w/ Toyo 45A Front Shift, please

Help w/ Toyo 45A Front Shift, please

Hello,

I'm looking for an explanation on how to use front shift on my Toyo 45AX field camera.

I have exhausted all search options and I cannot find a video demonstration or lucidly written description of how to shift the front standard of this camera.

The only thing I found is in the Toyo 45AII manual (essentially the same camera). This says to keep the extension bed unlocked (locking lever in the center position), hold the front standard by the tilting hinges, and shift it. This is not working. And I feel like I'm going to break it if I use more force. This camera is nearly brand new and there's nothing wrong with it--I have tried to use front shift on a 45A as well, and I have the same problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

nick

Re: Help w/ Toyo 45A Front Shift, please

Loosen the two knobs on the side of the front standard. This will allow you to shift the lensboard up and down within the rails of the standard. No need to loosen the extension bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyon View Post
    Loosen the two knobs on the side of the front standard. This will allow you to shift the lensboard up and down within the rails of the standard. No need to loosen the extension bed.
    Yes, I am able to do that for rise and fall, but I want to know how to shift--left and right.

Thank you

PS: I am able to swing the front standard. I just can't figure out shift.
    Last edited by nicksotis; 12-Apr-2018 at 20:52. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by nicksotis View Post
    PS: I am able to swing the front standard. I just can't figure out shift.
    I was going to ask if you could get it to swing, the same part that swings also does the shifts. They can be pretty stiff, particularly if they haven't had that movement used much.

Huub

Not sure about the AX, but on the A2 when you loosen the lock which unlocks the front swing, there should be a bit play which allows you to shift the front standard to the left and right. Thightening the lock again should keep the horizontal shift in place.
    A second way is to swing both back and front standards. A bit awkward, but that should work too.

Thanks. I'm guessing the movements are just very stiff on my camera. It sounds so simple, but I feel like I'm going to break something if I push the front standard any harder.

Will bring to a local shop.

Huub is right on how to shift the front standard. The side shift is indeed stiff, but very doable. I just got my 45A out to confirm how to do it. Loosen the front center locking tab that locks left and right and is loose on center. Push sideways at the side tilt locking levers to shift either way, then lock the front lever tab. This locking tab also frees and locks the front swing movements.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lobato View Post
    Huub is right on how to shift the front standard. The side shift is indeed stiff, but very doable. I just got my 45A out to confirm how to do it. Loosen the front center locking tab that locks left and right and is loose on center. Push sideways at the side tilt locking levers to shift either way, then lock the front lever tab. This locking tab also frees and locks the front swing movements.
    Thank you for the clear description. I don't feel like I'm missing anything now. Still afraid to break this beautiful camera, though, so I'm going to bring it somewhere to be shown in person. None of the "walkthrough" videos I have seen on Youtube for Toyo field cameras address shift.

Cheers,

nick

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The shift on my AX is tight also and no where near as fluid as on the MII which, while requiring force, allows you to shift with one hand while looking thru the GG. I wonder if oiling the AX's shift parts - maybe squirting some WD40 - would free them up?

Thomas