Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 760mm Apo Nikkor f/11 vs Nikkor-T ED 800mm f/12

Drew Wiley

Re: 760mm Apo Nikkor f/11 vs Nikkor-T ED 800mm f/12

Looks like they were recently bought out by one of their main clients, the world's biggest technical or scientific laser company across the Bay in Palo Alto. Most people don't realize it, but the amount of R&D in Silicon Valley that goes to space and military applications is every bit as big as what's behind the consumer computer and electronics market.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Looks like they were recently bought out by one of their main clients, the world's biggest technical or scientific laser company across the Bay in Palo Alto. Most people don't realize it, but the amount of R&D in Silicon Valley that goes to space and military applications is every bit as big as what's behind the consumer computer and electronics market.
    As most of you know my company was the USA distributor for Rodenstock Precision Optical, the division that manufactured photographic lenses as well as graphic arts lenses. A few years after we became the distributor the Rodenstock family spun off the Precision optical division from the rest of the company.
    A couple of years later the Precision optical division was purchased by Linos, a photonics company, and the photographic division became part of Linos. When the Precision optical division was spun off the new company was granted the right to use the Rodenstock logo for 5 years, after which a royalty would be due for the use of the logo. At the end of that period the Linos name replaced the Rodenstock logo on lens boxes, lens wrenches, cleaning cloths, etc. and the Rodenstock name remained on the lenses.
    Linos was then sold to Qioptiq, making for a very large international company that could be the company Drew is referencing.

This is what they are:

http://www.qioptiq.com/products.html

Drew Wiley

No, Bob. It's something local and capable of making really really big laser stuff. It's amazing what goes on behind closed doors in this area. A few things like private spacecraft reach the news; but military and surveillance projects are meant to be kept quiet. Thus Silicon Valley attracts a lot of spies, and they aren't snooping around for the Recipe to Kentucky Fried Chicken! I'm just glad the days of germ warfare labs sitting atop infamous earthquake faults in our big cities is over.

In Palo Alto:
    http://www.diffractionoptics.com

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    No, Bob. It's something local and capable of making really really big laser stuff. It's amazing what goes on behind closed doors in this area. A few things like private spacecraft reach the news; but military and surveillance projects are meant to be kept quiet. Thus Silicon Valley attracts a lot of spies, and they aren't snooping around for the Recipe to Kentucky Fried Chicken! I'm just glad the days of germ warfare labs sitting atop infamous earthquake faults in our big cities is over.

And googling "Eastman Kodak Hubble Telescope" turns up lots of stuff including:
    https://www.nytimes.com/1990/07/18/u...or-unused.html
    David

Drew Wiley

No, Berenice, not Diffraction Optics, though I think they bought it too. The new owner is Coherent. The aspheric plant was known as Tinsley Lab, and was in Berkeley, another giant hi-tech hub, when I dealt with them, but has since relocated to nearby Richmond.

Coherent the laser folks has been growing in the bay area due to the demand for laser technology. The other bay area laser company Spectra-Physics has also purchased related optical companies.

Many believe the best optics only come from Germany or Japan, not true. There are a host of other optical companies that produce highly specialized optics in America and else were.

Keep in mind Angénieux (France) were among the very first to work with NASA to design and produce lenses to meed the demands of space flight. This work resulted in speciality lens coatings, lubricants and more that are required for lenses to function in the very hostile environment of space. Canon made the first batch of corner reflectors sitting on the moon. Kinoptic (France) made rectilinear wide angle lenses for some of the very first weather satellites. This list goes on...

Bernice

The backup Hubble mirror made by Kodak (my division but not me) is on display at the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum in Washington. No doubt, an amazing optic; but it would be impractical for field use, as it is 8 feet in diameter.
    There are a lot of optics out there of spectacular quality... made at great expense in tiny numbers for very specific purposes. Most of which are completely unusable for normal photography... even if you could find any for sale. And then there are prototypes...in the 'junk box' of my department at Kodak was a 12" f/4.5 lens in a barrel. Not a regular Ektar; we never used it. Just in there with old enlarging lenses, printer lenses, parts, caps, etc. One time the health & safety rep came by, checking out some of our working specialty optics for radiation (they were known to contain thorium glass). His Geiger counter passed the working lenses, no problem. The next time I saw him I asked about this prototype lens. He said "Is it heavy? send it to me." Indeed it was quite heavy for its size, and had that ice-tea color. I did send it over to him and after a while he called me back and said "yeah, that was a hot one". It went to radioactive disposal, never saw it again- or thought of it until reading this thread. Of course we'll never know what it was designed for or how it performed... just one of many such, I'm sure.

Drew Wiley

I was not referring to a backup mirror, but the corrective lenses still on the Hubble, which were made here. Who specified the optical correction needed I have no idea. But the local operation might have been the only place capable of making the new "reading glasses" for the Hubble. If I were younger, it might be fun to join their amateur astronomy workshop. All kinds of places like Edmund can sell you a basic concave mirror blank; but can you imagine having access to the equipment and coaching to grind and polish your own 16" or 18" aspheric mirror? Their industrial capability is much bigger than that; but
    as it is, installing or hauling even a 16" scope is a quite a challenge for an amateur, esp given the expense of a matching
    mount and clock drive.

I have owned and used a Nikkor T ED 12/800, and an Apo Nikkor 11/760, and from my experience, using both with color transparecy film on my Sinar cameras, I prefer the Apo Nikkor 11/760 for the following reasons:

1,- The Nikkor T ED has just a bit of magenta chromatic aberration. The Apo Nikkor has none.
    2,- The Apo Nikkor is a bit sharper than the Nikkor T ED. In both cases, assuming you can keep your camera firmly steady.
    3,- The nikkor T ED has a bit of distortion. The Apo Nikkor has none.
    4,- The Apo Nikkor in barrel has a 12 blades diapragm that provide an almost circular shape and nicer bokeh than the Nikkor T ED.
    5,- In spite of I make few camera movements when I use long lenses, it´s easier to make them with lenses that have a non tele design. Tele lenses have a weird behavior when making camera movements.

The Nikkor T ED needs about 7 inch less bellows length, and is mounted with a Copal 3 shutter, so it´s easily usable in most cameras. My Apo Nikkor is mounted on a Sinar board and I use it with a Sinar shutter.