Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Extra Long Exposures

Re: Extra Long Exposures

Quote Originally Posted by Stephane View Post
    Pinhole shot between December 2018 to May 2019 (5 months exposure). The 100 fomapan 8x10 sheet film was kept flat in a ikea box taped real good, and then developed in R09 (rodinal). The negative was dense, obviously, but still had an image on it.
    Then I made a digi neg and printed as cyanotype 30x30 cm, then toned in wine tanin, which is the image you see.

I made another one, but humidity ruined the shot. I have a couple more around the garden to remove, develop, and re-install before the summer solstice...
    I feel woozy looking at this one. good woozy. i love how soft all the edges are, but still retaining definition. I always feel like my pinholes just look out of focus, and not intentionally soft.
    aaronamodt.com

Quote Originally Posted by baronvonaaron View Post
    i love when the actors create a light cloud like that, i wish this one was a little darker though. just so that cloud popped out more.
    Any suggestions on getting a better end product? Other than more time in photo editing software, which is my least favorite thing to do.

Thanks for getting me hooked on this.

"Strange Loop" at Playwrights Horizons, NYC.

2hr exposure with a pinhole on ektar. I think I'm gonna redo this one with my view camera, the softness of the pinhole is not doin the actors justice.
    I am in love with this set and those lights. Please do it again with your view camera I think it will look stellar.

"Strange Loop" at Playwrights Horizons, NYC.
    Seems like this show is doing well.

Nicholas O. Lindan

Digital is far better suited for long period photographs. It shouldn't be done in one long exposure behind some outrageous ND filter but as separate exposures. The data from the individual exposures is accumulated by adding them together. Dividing by the number of exposures will get you back to a normal, limited range, image. Every 4x increase in the number of exposures will halve the noise. I doubt there is a camera that uses the technique internally, but tethering a camera to a computer will allow all sorts of long period techniques.

The general term for the practice is 'oversampling.' Any electronic instrumentation worth the name uses the technique, usually in combination with noise-based techniques. Sometimes adding well behaved noise can increase resolution and allow the extraction of minute signals.

It's one of my many soapboxes.
    Darkroom Automation / Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
    f-Stop Timers & Enlarging meters http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Curious, could you not do something with film. Taking many multiple exposures over time?

Longest I've ever done myself was 5 minutes for a long exposure - used FP4 worked out quite well as it was a seascape and the water movement & sounds always add a nice feel to an image.

This is a fascinating thread

Quote Originally Posted by nolindan View Post
    Digital is far better suited for long period photographs. It shouldn't be done in one long exposure behind some outrageous ND filter but as separate exposures. The data from the individual exposures is accumulated by adding them together. Dividing by the number of exposures will get you back to a normal, limited range, image. Every 4x increase in the number of exposures will halve the noise. I doubt there is a camera that uses the technique internally, but tethering a camera to a computer will allow all sorts of long period techniques.

The general term for the practice is 'oversampling.' Any electronic instrumentation worth the name uses the technique, usually in combination with noise-based techniques. Sometimes adding well behaved noise can increase resolution and allow the extraction of minute signals.

It's one of my many soapboxes.