Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: iPhone Viewfinder app

Re: iPhone Viewfinder app

Thanks Adam, good to hear it is on your list.

Another feature I thought of is an image display mode to help utilise the zone system for choosing exposure. The grey scale tonal range would be discretised into integer EV stops (zones), and stops above and below a defined dynamic range coloured red/green as a warning flag that these tones would clip. You could then apply a +/- exposure shift to get the range of zones to map where you want them.

Niels

Hello Adam,
    Just bought the app (1.10.1 build 1415). It is a great tool for visualisation and absolutely worth the modest price - thanks for making it! It will be very useful as I venture into Large Format land.

I notice that filters are now implemented - which was a pleasing surprise, but I noticed that the effect is somewhat weaker than what I normally experience when using filters on BW film. For example, yesterday was sunny with a clear blue sky, but the app's red filter barely darkened the sky - on the other hand my B+W Red filter (Wratten 25 equivalent) would darken the sky considerably.
    Is this a design choice or are you still tweaking the filter functionality?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Fowler View Post
    Hi, it is on my list of features to add. I have made attempt at getting this right but so far haven't been very happy with the results. Once I get it right I'll be sure to release it.
    ----
    Niels

I have the Viewfinder app, but thought I'd try this one, and so far the lens input menu is quite accurate.
    My only cameras are 8x10 and digital MF, which can be slightly more complicated to set up.
    On digital, I use the 6x7 crop and your viewfinder lines up perfectly with every GFX lens. No need to use the crop factor (0.79x). Well done, Adam!
    Taking out the digital camera is hardly a chore, but if I'm scouting, it will come in handy.
    That goes double for the 8x10, which is more of a commitment to set up.
    Last edited by Ari; 1-Feb-2022 at 10:24.

I'm strictly a large film guy. I use your app religiously, maybe the only technology I use but it is a terrific tool, and endorse the app in my own YouTube videos. I'm always struck by no matter how much content features or tricks you share with some photographers, they're always looking for more. Kudos Adam Fowler !!

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

Adam, I've been using the app for 8x10 and I find that the FLs I enter are consistently wide compared to the actual lens being used.
    I'm not talking about a few mms off, either.
    In order for things to look about the same as my 300mm Xenar, the app has to be set to 355mm.
    Same with the 210, which needs 240 on the phone, and a 150 which is best matched with 180mm on the phone.
    I'm using an iPhone 11 with multiple lenses, but maybe I misused a different setting?
    It seems consistent, now that I re-examine the GFX lenses as well.
    My initial test was with an 80mm lens, and it looked accurate at first. Coming back the next day, though, I realized the phone image was much wider than the actual image.
    I had my phone balanced at a different angle, but if I take care to line up the phone and focal plane, the app is always wider.

Quote Originally Posted by nitroplait View Post
    Hello Adam,
    I notice that filters are now implemented - which was a pleasing surprise, but I noticed that the effect is somewhat weaker than what I normally experience when using filters on BW film. For example, yesterday was sunny with a clear blue sky, but the app's red filter barely darkened the sky - on the other hand my B+W Red filter (Wratten 25 equivalent) would darken the sky considerably.
    Is this a design choice or are you still tweaking the filter functionality?
    Hi Niels,

Any process applied to the captured image will always reduce the amount detail in the image. A red filter as a post process can be quite aggressive in reducing fidelity in your image. I was trying to balance this detail loss with a real world result. I do agree with you though the red filter is probably not strong enough and will look at it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Adam, I've been using the app for 8x10 and I find that the FLs I enter are consistently wide compared to the actual lens being used.
    Hi Ari,

This could be due to different image sizes generated by different 8x10 cameras. Your best bet is to create a custom camera in the App. First you need to measure the size of a negative image generated by the camera. I use a scanner to get completely accurate results. Once you have the width and height of your negative, go to the "edit camera menu" section of the app, press the "+" button in the bottom left hand corner and enter a name for your camera and the width and height you got from your negative. This should give you a more accurate result.

If you are still seeing issues this may be due to a calibration error for the iPhone 11 and I can have another look at this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    I'm strictly a large film guy. I use your app religiously, maybe the only technology I use but it is a terrific tool, and endorse the app in my own YouTube videos. I'm always struck by no matter how much content features or tricks you share with some photographers, they're always looking for more. Kudos Adam Fowler !!

Hey Steve, glad you find the app useful and thanks for the endorsements. People will always want more. Any feature that does get added is based on a delicate balance between desire to not overload the app with too much that nobody can find anything, usefulness of the feature and my own free time :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Fowler View Post
    Hi Ari,

This could be due to different image sizes generated by different 8x10 cameras. Your best bet is to create a custom camera in the App. First you need to measure the size of a negative image generated by the camera. I use a scanner to get completely accurate results. Once you have the width and height of your negative, go to the "edit camera menu" section of the app, press the "+" button in the bottom left hand corner and enter a name for your camera and the width and height you got from your negative. This should give you a more accurate result.

If you are still seeing issues this may be due to a calibration error for the iPhone 11 and I can have another look at this.
    Thanks, Adam, will keep you posted on the 8x10.
    The GFX sensor size has been accurately measured for there 7:6 format I use, but the same issue with image size on the iPhone arises.
    Mind you, none of this is a huge deal, but it is a viewfinder app.
    You could offer an option to store lenses by name, that way if a 300mm shows up as a 330mm on the iPhone, the user can simply access "Xenar 300" with their own FL plugged in.

Is the app still available? I've tried a number of times and cannot figure out how to install it. Think I might even have paid for it.