Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with the dimensions of an 8x10 Film Holder

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

I just finished my 8x10 Pinhole Camera.

I am building an 8x10 pinhole camera and need the dimensions of the standard 8x10 film holder. I do not have a film holder in that size, but I have one 4x5. If you have one and have the time to measure one, could you please provide me with the dimensions x, y, z and t, shown in the attached drawing? Inches if fine, but I prefer dimensions in millimeters if possible. The pinhole camera will accept 8x10 film holders, just like a regular camera. I really appreciate your help. Thanks, Pepe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails holder8by10.jpg  
    Last edited by pepeguitarra; 17-Apr-2018 at 19:23. Reason: to add photos

Re: Help with the dimensions of an 8x10 Film Holder

Well, thank you. I should have done a better research before posting. I found the dimensions here. I hope this posting serve as reference for future builders too. So, no effort is lost.

Hi Pepe, reading your post, that page came to mind but you found it already.

The other important piece of the puzzle you’ll need is the actual 8x10 film size and tolerances. Manufacturers of film conform to the standard ISO 1012, which you can get and ensure your holder will accommodate. You have to pay for a copy, but if you don’t want to I can give you the dimensions just send me a pm.

Photographic plates have a similar standard.

Cheers,
    Jason
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Jason: Thank you. I need to make sure they fit your 8x10 dry plates too.

I think I will just create my own standard. The prices they show for this standards are too high. Membership in ANSI will cost $1,200 for companies selling under $100million. What about those not profiting from it? That is ridiculous. I will build my own plates and my own holders.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Help with the dimensions of an 8x10 Film Holder

Not sure I follow. Standards don’t work like that. They just include dimensions that tell you what size of film to expect from manufacturers. That way you know how to make your holders to accommodate standard size film. Did you get my message with the dimensions of 8x10 film?

The industry standardizes on those sizes so the film they sell is compatible with the equipment out there. If, for example, Kodak’s film didn’t fit standard equipment then nobody would buy from Kodak.

You don’t have to pay anything to make your holders. Use those dimensions to properly size where the film goes in your holders or you’ll be sad when the film doesn’t fit. It’s not magic, it’s just good woodworking.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Not sure I follow. Standards don’t work like that. They just include dimensions that tell you what size of film to expect from manufacturers. The industry standardizes on those sizes so the film they sell is compatible with the equipment out there. If Kodak’s film didn’t standard equipment then nobody would buy from Kodak.

You don’t have to pay anything to make your holders. Just make sure the film will fit in them or you’ll be sad when it doesn’t fit.
    Thanks Jason. I am just complaining, I like to complain. I worked for 40 years in my field and became an "expert", I contributed to set the standards for a lot of plumbing fixtures, and the Code that enforces their use. No one has to pay for it. However, I understand there is a cost of putting it together, which should be nominal. In any case, I will leave provisions in my holders to accept a large tolerance, even if that means I have to build an adapter for those that do not fit snuggly.

Like they say, whatever I have now is good for government work!

In fact, I should not complain, since I am saving money. I will not have to buy an 8x10 View Camera, since I will have my own pinhole camera with 8x10 holders and wet and dry plates.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    I think I will just create my own standard. The prices they show for this standards are too high. Membership in ANSI will cost $1,200 for companies selling under $100million. What about those not profiting from it? That is ridiculous. I will build my own plates and my own holders.
    What am I missing? Why don't you just buy a 8x10 film holder? Or you like it the hard way?

Because I can make it cheaper. After all, this is the DYI section, where people do their own stuff and talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    Because I can make it cheaper. After all, this is the DYI section, where people do their own stuff and talk about it.
    Great! Why don't you just buy one so that you can make tens of them cheaper then? It would pay off, wouldn't it?