Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: 11x14 Deardorff Studio Camera

Re: 11x14 Deardorff Studio Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Which Carrier?

All clues are needed

Peter I already told OP that we don't appraise, he sent me a PM and I sent OP back to open posting
    I got a private message too. I don't reply to anyone I don't know. It's interesting, the camera is incomplete as shown. Looks like the stand is in great shape. My outfit was somewhat of a situation where a fellow who didn't need money, found me who didn't need another camera came together, mine was delivered for chump change. More pictures would be great, certainly folks here are interested in preserving this kind of thing.

Thank you all for your responses.

To give you some background, a friend bought a building that will be transformed, and this camera was included in the sale. I'm helping him get it temporarily moved into storage and ultimately find a buyer to take on this treasure. We are actively working to obtain the original sales paperwork and it is our understanding that this unit was initially purchased and used on the USS Saratoga naval ship. As you know, obtaining this documentation is extremely important. We are hoping to have this documentation within the next two weeks.

The unit is located in Michigan and the posts are approximately 8 feet tall.

We must transport the camera and stand out of the current location so the demo and construction can continue on the building. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on steps we should follow to properly transport this camera to our temporary storage facility?

Thanks again

Sure. The big thing to know is that there's a heavy lead weight in each column. You don't want that crashing down at any point. So.....Lock carriage. Take off the ground glass back and set it somewhere safe. Remove camera. It might be bolted to the platform. Unlock carriage, keeping a hand on the platform, as there weight of the camera isn't holding it down. Crank the table tilt so that the camera platform is parallel with the tubes. Move the carriage to near the top of the column. This lowers the lead weights. You can now remove the to long cast-iron arms that told the wheels. Put some boards under the main piece, so that when you remove the arms you don't damage the floor or your feet/hands!. Have one person securely hold one of the uprights. Loosen all of the bolts holding the metal arms, and then remove them. Be careful! You're now gong to tilt the stand down. Get something like jack stands to hold the columns so that they're close to parallel to the floor when you lower them. Make sure the carriage is locked. Don't use the carriage to hold the stand. Hold the columns. With two or more people, gently tilt the columns down to sit on the jack stands. unlock bike chains. Unclip weight cables, take off the column caps, and then with two people slide the carriage off of the columns. Set somewhere safe. There will be two break shoes in the columns. They will likely all out. Don't lose them! Now use a long pole to gently push out the lead weights. Don't let them fall! Return stand to upright. mark the position of the columns. They've ben adjusted to go in that exact place. So take good note, pictures/...and label the parts. Now unbolt the columns from the base, and there you go. Both Randy and I have done this all by ourselves, but that's not recommended.

Note: You don't have to take the wheel arms off. Just make sure to put something between the pivot point and the floor so that you don't damage the stand or the floor.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

This picture I uploaded shows that there are multiple bellows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2744.jpg  

Good 2 is better 3 is needed to fully use the possible 75" of extension

Here is mine after I replaced all 3 bellows but only had one back, a 5X7

Took some effort to make mine fully usable with all parts needed

Deardorff S11 New Bellows by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by mk1792021 View Post
    This picture I uploaded shows that there are multiple bellows.
    Tin Can

I had a couple YOUNG MUSCLE MEN types that moved the camera and stand in one piece. I took off the back and lenses, took off extra bellows. Then compressed the bellows and wrapped the camera with plastic film. Getting the thing on and off a freight elevator was something. We managed to get it on a flat open trailer, pulled by a big fancy truck.
    Got it tucked into my garage, I took it from there.

Beautiful American thing. FIND THE EXTRA PARTS. FILM HOLDERS ARE IMPORTANT, OBVIOUSLY.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Good 2 is better 3 is needed to fully use the possible 75" of extension

Here is mine after I replaced all 3 bellows but only had one back, a 5X7

Took some effort to make mine fully usable with all parts needed

Deardorff S11 New Bellows by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    I need to order new bellows, mine work fine, but I need to call custom bellows. This stuff keeps me alive. !