Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 11x14 Deardorff Studio Camera

Re: 11x14 Deardorff Studio Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    It's been 6 years since I took mine apart, so don't recall every bit

I can again, but it seems you have it under control

Let us know if you need anything further
    Will do, thank you Sir.

Looks like a very simple task for my new friend the machinist. This guy can do anything he puts his mind too. Like walking into a fantasy movie. His shops are about 15 yards from his lovely home. No signs or advertising, people seek him out.

I got my lens board adapter from Zbigniew today, I can put my 6x6 boards on the 8x8 camera.

I feel sorry for the people who are waiting for the next miracle digital marvel. This is so neat to work on. Made in Chicago!

Here's my 4.5" ID Double Pump with DIY Sync

Got this shutter out of an run down Grey Ansco Studio 8X10. At first didn't notice the shutter as it was on the middle standard and kinda invisible. Made my day, then I sold the poor camera. but regret selling the stand with it...

4.5 inch Packard by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Inside Shutter by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

One more thing I didn't know. Double pumper shutter. Packard? I love the sync!

I have a Packard that came with a 12 inch f4.5 Wollensak (came with my V8 I found in a junk store) I'm looking forward to seeing that big old lens on this studio camera. Not a Verito, but still c. 1940 Wollensak.

Supposed to start warming up. I need to get to cleaning up the stand. I hope to get it in my studio room as soon as feasible. The original casters are still fine, but I have a short pile carpeting in my studio, may need to get something different? I really want to keep it original.

Think twice before painting the posts, paint can get scraped off, when moving elevation

I dye post scratches with a 2" wide magic marker once in a while...

https://packardshutter.com/

Many show up on eBay, I have a NOS in box 4" ID waiting for godot

I tried a 5" ID 'Packard type' shutter which has an extra leaf, neither Peter nor I could make it work reliably, it looks LN, not made by Packard

Carpet may be a problem. I wanted to install larger casters for easier rolling on my ceramic tile floor with grout divots, but the leg screw stands will interfere and i use them to level the whole thing after rolling into position. The leg stands also make it more stable

Notice the bigger wheels on the Linhof dolly and the NOS Bakelite knob bought from McMaster to match broken OE knobs

The chains are standard single speed bicycle, I recently changed mine to SRAM PC1 Nickel Plated Single-Speed Chain, took 3 for my 7.5' posts, the OE chain was very well worn

SC11 Leg Levelers by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Ah, two important lessons, wheel diameter limited by the leveling screws, and paint. I think I'm pretty much decided on a good clean up and a bit of oil. I'm trying to take this at a leisurely pace, which is NOT my normal behavior (at least according to my wife) .

I tried to talk my wife into switching "studios" no carpet, bare smooth concrete floors, twice the size. No joy.

I striped the paint from my columns. It was a bit of a pain, but in my case the paint was powdering off. After I cleaned them up, I used Boeshield as a protective coating. So far, so good, and it's not sticky.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I'm making slow but steady progress. I found a Deardorff 6x6 board cut perfectly for my #3 Copal, 360mm Nikkor W. What a beautiful lens.
    I'm waiting for a part for the stand.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200305_151309_resized.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	201475

Look at what came today. I felt it my duty to help stimulate the Japanese economy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200312_165842.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	201649

It's a good lens!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I am missing two of the "swivel feet" on the leveling screws. I solved the problem of the feet dragging on the carpet. I threaded the 5/8th inch leveling bolts. Now I can retract the screws about an inch higher. I managed to save the original knobs, one was hopelessly stripped, I put in a brass threaded sleeve. I'm still waiting on my machinist, he's such a great guy. 72 years and going all the time, I love just going to his shop.

I went to college, I did fine no complaints. Nothing greater than a skilled trade, watching people work magic with metal, wood, electrical......... Beautiful!

I really want to get the camera back on the stand, put this thing to use.

Thanks for the help!