Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite (CHEAP) 75mm lens?

What's your favorite (CHEAP) 75mm lens?

Hi guys,
    I don't know why I have a hankering for a 75mm lens. I do love my 20/21mm lens on 35mm format. I just love wide shots.

What's your good cheap 75mm? Are f/8's really hard to look through? Are the brighter ones worth it? Probably will stop down to at least f/8 f/11 anyway right?

Any good old ones, I love old lenses and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny when a lens walks in with an ity bity face and a round lens in your face!
    --

Re: What's your favorite (CHEAP) 75mm lens?

What is your definition of cheap?

Hmmmm, not $400+. Maybe like I'm looking at 2-300 buck range? Or better
    I don't need a modern Schneider or anything like that. I do love my old ass lenses. Did Kodak make one in that range?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    Hmmmm, not $400+. Maybe like I'm looking at 2-300 buck range? Or better
    I don't need a modern Schneider or anything like that. I do love my old ass lenses. Did Kodak make one in that range?
    I like my little 80/6.3 WF Ektar but it won't cover 4x5.

I just took a look on eBay. There are a couple of 75/6.3 Komuras and a 75/8 Fuji for < $200 delivered. Look for yourself.

I just checked Ebay, and as I suspected, the deal here if you want a bit more speed, appears to be a 75/5.6 Fujinon SWD for around $330, shipped, from Japan.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

The four 75mm in this list are (of course) excellent options: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s/LF4x5in.html

Instead the 75mm I got the 65 and the 90 Fuji SWDs, because I wanted a 65, but the 75 may replace both.

Older 75 Fujis come in Seiko shutter, later ones in Copal. Seiko shutter is also excellent but it can be more difficult to get it serviced, so in practice (beyond multicoating) the major factor is the shutter, it has to be in good shape. If I had to decide between Nikon SW, Fuji SWD, Grandagon N and Super-Angulon sure I'd consider the included shutter more than the glass itself.

Ahhhh yes I need to remember that shutter! I have the wolly 159mm in the old betax shutter and I got it serviced a while ago. I think it's already slow again. It's just so dang old. I needs like a 100K mile engine rebuild with new springs and stuff or whatever is in there!
    --

I have a Grandagon 75mm 6.8. I got it on the LFF in April 2014 and had the shutter rebuilt. I have about $300 invested with no complaints.
    Last edited by DG 3313; 3-May-2018 at 19:59.

Watch the market-sellers patiently, and be ready to purchase when the opportunity happens.
    Any of the top 75mm wide angle lenses, 75mm f5.6 Super Angulon, 75mm f5.6 Fujinon SWD, 75mm f4.5 Grandagon can be had for $300 or less.

IMO, the best value is the 75mm f6.8 Grandagon which can be had for $200 or less.

Time of the year or seasons affect Foto Gear prices. During peak Foto season the prices are higher, off season the prices are lower. It may take a while to find a good deal, but they are out there.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Watch the market-sellers patiently, and be ready to purchase when the opportunity happens.
    Any of the top 75mm wide angle lenses, 75mm f5.6 Super Angulon, 75mm f5.6 Fujinon SWD, 75mm f4.5 Grandagon can be had for $300 or less.

IMO, the best value is the 75mm f6.8 Grandagon which can be had for $200 or less.

Time of the year or seasons affect Foto Gear prices. During peak Foto season the prices are higher, off season the prices are lower. It may take a while to find a good deal, but they are out there.

Bernice
    Great advice!! Thank you so much!!
    --