Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Look for Tripod + head for Sinar F2

Re: Look for Tripod + head for Sinar F2

The guy, who sold me the Sinar, used it on a TiltAll Original. Pan/tilt head is built-in, and it supports 44 lbs. It not as heavy as many alu tripod. It has same dimension as Berlebach.
    And I read on forum that some users of large format own (or have owned) this tripod. And it fits my budget !
    What do you think about?

Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    Although it’s possible in theory, most of us would not do much backpacking with the F2. As far as your first question, I would recommend an aluminum tripod and a heavy head. I use a Manfrotto 3410 tripod and 410 geared head for my F2. For hiking, I use a field camera and carbon fiber tripod.
    +1, Bogen 3021 legs and a 3047 head under my F2 when I'm close to the car or at home. I prefer my Toyo 45a on the Gitzo 1228 when I'm out and about.

I've used Sinars of various types in the field for a long time. Imo, the best head for a Sinar is the Sinar pan/tilt head. It is very strong, compact, light and easy to use. It's worth hunting one down. For legs, unless you're shooting a lot of long lenses, a used series 3 aluminum Gitzo is excellent. I usually take mine for use with 4x5 instead of my series V.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I have an original (Marchioni) Tiltall. It will hold my 4x5 Zone VI, barely. My 4x5 Sinar Norma, no way. Tiltalls are fine tripods but best suited for 35mm (there's a reason Leica bought the design) and 120 format cameras. Find the largest Manfrotto setup you can tolerate- the 3021/3047 combo would be the smallest to consider.

4x5 Sinar F is not very heavy if smaller lenses are used. Tiltall is border line OK, but there are better choices.

Keep in mind it is not the weight a given tripod can support, it has more to do with stability, durability and vibration control than just weight capacity.

One tripod brand often not considered is Davis & Stanford. Used their rectangular leg version for decades with a Sinar Pan-Tilt head with a 4x5 & 5x7 Sinar C. These can be had at very modest cost, easy to used due to the single thumb screw used to adjust each leg. They are very durable aluminum construction and very stable. Only negative is minimum height is just over two feet.

Sinar Pan-Tilt head is almost a must for a Sinar due to it's stability and overall durability.

Added a big Gitzo with the Davis & Stanford tripod due to getting a really good deal on it. Think this is a big Gitzo Studex with the geared center column. Works OK, but heavy and very stable. Does go very low and the tripod head can be put on the bottom side of the center column allowing camera positing to very near ground level. Too heavy, and travel with the aluminum legs was not kind to them. The twist locks can get stuck causing user grief. It is now mostly parked.

Currently using a Modified Dutch Hill fiberglass leg Surveyor's tripod modified with a Bolex Cinema "bowl" and Sinar Pan-Tilt head. This set up is not too heavy, very stable, not vibration prone and the fiberglass lens are simply tough-durable and do not dent-scratch like aluminum legs. Keep in mind if a tripod is used outdoors, they will get a LOT of abuse, wear and related. One good feature about these Surveyor's tripods, they are absolutely built and designed to be used outdoors in dirt, mud and more then continue to function in the worst of environmental conditions.

The Bolex Cinema bowl allows easy leveling of the Sinar Pan-Tilt head even when the legs are not set up completely level. Leveling the tripod is important due to the need to pan the camera and help to keep the image being made level.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by willCut View Post
    Yes, Berlebach with leveling head is one of my top list. I don't know if the 8 series (863) is enough with only 22lbs of max load. Else, the 2 series (262) supports more load around 33 lbs. I will buy it new, as used is rare.
    Else, if I don't take the leveling head, do you have some advice to add pan/tilt head for berlebach?
    For large format I've only used the Berlebach with leveling ball and then 2 Ries tripods, (J100 and A100) both with Ries double tilt heads. I used to own a Sinar P 4x5 monorail and used it on the A100 since I already owned that tripod. It did fine but I had to really crank down the rail clamp to the Ries head or it would spin. Everyone recommends the Sinar head for Sinar cameras though. They have a pin that keeps the rail clamp from spinning.

As others have said, forget the Tiltall. I've owned one and liked it but I agree that it would be borderline with a Sinar F.

As a Sinar user I completely agree that you should try and get a Sinar head. That said I understand they can be hard to find and are pricey for a used tripod head. Whatever tripod/head combination you end up with do not underestimate the importance of a good tripod/head to your process. Over the years I have bought dozens of tripods and heads. Between film and digital I use three consistently. If I had just bought the right three in the first place I would have had a lot more money in my pocket.

There is one more thing to consider. While I would rather see you with a Sinar head because you only need to move the tripod head to move on one axis (because the camera can rotate on the monorail for the second axis) look at video heads. They can handle a lot of weight, move fluidly on one axis and good ones lock down like a vise.

Hope this helps.

-Joshua

Finally, I've just bought a Sinar Pan tilt head.
    Now, I read again all your advices for the tripod.
    First, once my head will be there, I will go to a local shop to try various tripods to be sure about the load, the stability, the height.
    Gitzo or Ries are best of carbon and wood. But There are definitely out of my budget, even used.

Modified Dutch Hill tripod legs, Bolex Cinema bowl, Sinar Pan Tilt head and 5x7 Sinar Norma.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dutch Hill & Sinar.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	176706

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dutch Hill & Sinar Norma.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	176707

-phone image.
    Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Modified Dutch Hill tripod legs, Bolex Cinema bowl, Sinar Pan Tilt head and 5x7 Sinar Norma.

-phone image.
    Bernice
    It looks like the legs used for theodolite. I have already read someone modified one to put a camera on it.