Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lens to produce vignetted images on 4x5

Re: Lens to produce vignetted images on 4x5

Oh thats lovely, how large is the image circle that the Lubitel lens puts out?

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I took the lens off my Lubitel II and put it on a 4x5 box I made, and got this effect.
    Personally I think that a much better effect you get by using a circular frame passe- partout. The amount of the black corners is visually disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by locutus View Post
    Oh thats lovely, how large is the image circle that the Lubitel lens puts out?
    Dunno, really. But I can attest to the fact that it just barely made it as far as the edges on the 4" side.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Personally I think that a much better effect you get by using a circular frame passe- partout. The amount of the black corners is visually disturbing.
    I didn't say I LOVE this effect - I am just providing the OP evidence that the Lubitel's lens did pretty much what he wanted to accomplish on 4X5. This image was just a proof of concept - its not a technique I currently have a use for.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    You could do it all in post.

Most people choose Adobe.

Prior generations had mechanical and enlarging solutions.

BESELER 57MVT 5X7 DIFFUSION & VIGNETTING ENLARGER

I had one of these for a short time. It has 4 corner lights that can be adjusted to create vignettes while enlarging. It would burn in the corners.

I now regret I let it go. Seeking
    For reasons I can't explain yet, I continue to print "straight" in the darkroom. While manipulating exposure, contrast, dodging and burning of the image, I don't do any further fussing. I want as much as possible to be in the negative when it comes to vignette for instance. Same goes for fiddling with filters or devices to create an effect. I suppose I want the vignetting to be mindless. Maybe.

Anyways, I purchased a Kodak Ektar 105mm f/3.7 Lens mounted in a Flash Supermatic Shutter a few hours ago on eBay. Fingers crossed that it will do what I want.

Thanks for the advice -- yours and to everyone else as well.
    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Funny how we see things. What disturbs you most I find intriguing. Lovely image. Has the strange, voyeuristic feel I seek.
    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

Options are always good.

Just checked your link. I like the winterized scooter. I have ridden year round in Chicago, then it was an R75/5 long and short frame. Windjammer and bags. Now my circulation is poor. Cold extremities getting colder.

Yet, I rode my Honda PCX 150 yesterday and hope my left hand can use the clutch on my Sporty soon.

20 years ago I rode in Chicago Scooter rallies on a Velosolex just to out-nerd them. The only way to keep them in sight was to never stop, full blast at 18 mph at all times. And pedalling! Exercise.

200+ bikes so far. I want a Svartpilen, but to do that I need to sell a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Williams_812 View Post
    For reasons I can't explain yet, I continue to print "straight" in the darkroom. While manipulating exposure, contrast, dodging and burning of the image, I don't do any further fussing. I want as much as possible to be in the negative when it comes to vignette for instance. Same goes for fiddling with filters or devices to create an effect. I suppose I want the vignetting to be mindless. Maybe.

Anyways, I purchased a Kodak Ektar 105mm f/3.7 Lens mounted in a Flash Supermatic Shutter a few hours ago on eBay. Fingers crossed that it will do what I want.

Thanks for the advice -- yours and to everyone else as well.

Nothing surprising for me - there are as many personal tastes as there are persons.

One thing to consider is how abrupt you want the fall-off to be...

With IC's different f-stops (from wide open to tiny closed down) will change this, as well as the shades/masks suggested... For IC effects, a lens with little obstructions on the edges but a clear path to the lens/iris will create more gradual edges from natural falloff rather than a abrupt line from obstructions at the barrel edges etc...

There's also burning in the edges while printing by cutting a card with a "sunray" or "explosion" shape, a piece of coat hanger as a handle, and keep it moving in front of the printing paper while enlarging for a few timer pops...

Emmet Gowin did quite a few LF vignetted image series, and HP Robinson developed a style for "naturalistic" pictorialism using this as an element of "natural" seeing around this...

Steve K