Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strobonar Flash Handle Diameter Question

Re: Strobonar Flash Handle Diameter Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Does that make you a good-guy or a bad-guy?
    Neither, I was with Rollei two more times after that fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Neither, I was with Rollei two more times after that fiasco.
    Be careful, Bob. You have only nine lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Be careful, Bob. You have only nine lives.
    Rollei, finally, is no more! Liquidated a few years ago.

Thank you for all these responses. I looked at that Rollei flash mentioned it the second post. But it looks like it doesn't have the variable power manual mode I want. I never used my Sunpak in auto mode. I used it strictly manually, using the variable power feature for the f/stop or shutter speed I wanted. The idea is to use the variable power feature to make the flash be either fill light, or as main light, whichever conditions called for. It's that variable power from 1X to 1/128X that made it so useful. but my Graflite rings won't fit it. So, to recap, what I'm looking for is the variable power manual mode + handle diameter for the Graflite rings to fit it. 2 absolute requirements.
    Back in the day of flashbulbs, planned fill light could be achieved only by moving the flash distance. single power manual electronic flashes are no better. With that 611, you could be a true artisan with fill lighting. But the dadgum thing is one big piece of beef, and mounted to a Graflex with its dedicated bracket and tripod screw is very clumsy and insecure.

Quote Originally Posted by HT Finley View Post
    Thank you for all these responses. I looked at that Rollei flash mentioned it the second post. But it looks like it doesn't have the variable power manual mode I want. I never used my Sunpak in auto mode. I used it strictly manually, using the variable power feature for the f/stop or shutter speed I wanted. The idea is to use the variable power feature to make the flash be either fill light, or as main light, whichever conditions called for. It's that variable power from 1X to 1/128X that made it so useful. but my Graflite rings won't fit it. So, to recap, what I'm looking for is the variable power manual mode + handle diameter for the Graflite rings to fit it. 2 absolute requirements.
    Back in the day of flashbulbs, planned fill light could be achieved only by moving the flash distance. single power manual electronic flashes are no better. With that 611, you could be a true artisan with fill lighting. But the dadgum thing is one big piece of beef, and mounted to a Graflex with its dedicated bracket and tripod screw is very clumsy and insecure.
    You missed something:

Rollei E 36 RE
    # 400110 made in Germany

The top model. In production from February 1973 to 1981, total made 70,800. It has three choices of f-stops at any ASA setting, plus an external sensor for indirect lighting technique.

Thank you. The Sunpak 611 has 8 choices of variable power. Truth be known, it's variable duration, not variable brightness in the true sense, as with an incadescent bulb on a dimmer. I bought mine new in '76, and to this day I think the Sunpak Auto 611 is the height of electronic flash design. Just makes me sick I can't put my Graflite bands on it. I guess I'll just have to have my bands cut, and metal added.

This was my solution.
    Crown Graphic Still Life by Howard Sandler, on Flickr

[QUOTE=hsandler;1437975]This was my solution.
    I had seen that somewhere before and thought it was sort of neat, but discounted it. The 283 is like so many other auto flashes that gives you several ranges in auto mode, but none in manual mode. I'm getting a bit frustrated that I'm not getting through. Multiple ranges in auto mode are worthless to me. I'm talking about variable power in MANUAL mode. Perhaps I'm not a very clear writer. The 611 gives the 6 or so choices in auto mode, which I'm not interested in using. And it gives 8 in MANUAL mode also. I want those manual mode choices + a handle that accepts graflite rings. I am not interested in any more posts concerning the auto mode of a flash.

I understood. I'm not suggesting the particular flash (Vivitar 2500) in the photo, but the concept of putting an accessory hot or cold shoe on top of an old Graflite flash handle. Then you can put any old shoe flash on top that has manually adjustable power output, like the ubiquitous Vivitar 285.

[QUOTE=HT Finley;1437977]
    Quote Originally Posted by hsandler View Post
    This was my solution.
    I had seen that somewhere before and thought it was sort of neat, but discounted it. The 283 is like so many other auto flashes that gives you several ranges in auto mode, but none in manual mode. I'm getting a bit frustrated that I'm not getting through. Multiple ranges in auto mode are worthless to me. I'm talking about variable power in MANUAL mode. Perhaps I'm not a very clear writer. The 611 gives the 6 or so choices in auto mode, which I'm not interested in using. And it gives 8 in MANUAL mode also. I want those manual mode choices + a handle that accepts graflite rings. I am not interested in any more posts concerning the auto mode of a flash.
    Guess you have never tried the Metz 60 CT-4!