Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Monorails for a 16x20, Also Will a 4x5 Front Standard Work?

Seeking Monorails for a 16x20, Also Will a 4x5 Front Standard Work?

Hello everyone!

I'm researching building a ULF camera....I'm hoping to do a 16x20 camera.

Could someone clarify which brand view camera has a monorail system that can get to 43-45 inches?

Also, will a 4x5 front standard really be large enough to hold a Fujinon-C 600mm f11.5 or Goerz Red Dot Artar 24"
    with out some sort of front vignetting?

Thank you very much for reading this and have a happy weekend and great Spring Season!

Cheers,
    Kevin

P.S. Sorry, I didn't to risk posting in the ULF section, I don't know if DIY is allowed there.

Re: Seeking Monorails for a 16x20, Also Will a 4x5 Front Standard Work?

I’m slowing working on a 14X17. I am useing a rear 8X10 Cambo frame with QR Cambo boards. Making the front lens board and bellows big enough for anything.

My twin rails are 8020 aluminum extrusions. Search 8020.

The Fujinon C 600 is a relatively small lens, 575gr only: http://www.largeformatphotography.in.../LF8x10in.html

It is copal 3, so the hole in the lens board is 65mm http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ole_sizes.html

12X20 format converted Sinar at
    http://www.glennview.com/sinar.htm
    though I'd personally use 2 rail to tripod mounts in order to stabilize a monorail camera of that size

Cambo SC standards and rail clamps fit a 1" square rail. I use 80/20 brand t-slotted aluminum extrusion as already mentioned by Randy Moe in post #2 above. Available very inexpensively in lengths up to 96" through amazon.com.

Cambo's 5x7 and 8x10 cameras have a 4x5 front standard and a tapered bellows, 5x7 and 8x10 rear standards respectively. There are two hints. Cambo 4x5 (and 5x7 and 8x10) boards are 6 1/4" square, should be big enough for the OP.

I haven't done it, no need, but can see how to modify a 4x5 Cambo standard to hold a much larger back. I'm not sure it will be as rigid as needed, but that should be fixable at the cost of giving up rear movements.

Randy, why twin rails?

OP, this isn't directly relevant to you but some years back I built a 2x3 SLR using, among other things, Cambo components and a 48" piece of 80/20 t-slotted extrusion. See http://www.galerie-photo.com/baby-bertha-6x9-en.html. The camera turned out badly but it does focus a 900 mm lens usefully close. My Baby Bertha uses a modified Cambo 4x5 standard as a crutch to support the 900 and an inexpensive lab jack to support the SLR module. More hints. If I did it again I'd probably use a lab jack to support the lens; less expensive than a standard and machining.

Another hint. I've since made a really ugly tapered bag bellows for a camera with a 2x3 Cambo front standard and a 4x5 Cambo rear standard. I couldn't get bellows frames so sacrificed two boards to make them. See http://www.galerie-photo.com/bag-bellows.html.

Most monorail cameras have extensions, so theoretically any length is possible. The beefiest are the Horseman, Sinar, Linhof, Toyo and Cambo. So there's a wide variety to choose from. I think the Sinar Norma allows the use of extensions on the vertical supports. Centering the lens should be easier with it.

Kumar

Dan and OP, I want 2 rails for support at long bellows using big glass, such as a 900mm Jena. I will try to use one strong tripod with a sliding center tripod block. Balance the weight.

Cambo 4X5 boards are not large enough for my plans. I want enough room inside the front bellows frame for a big Packard shutter.

If OP is using 24" glass and specs 44" bellows he must be gearing up for macro, perhaps headshots.

If one uses 8020 and buys direct from the Ohio factory, they offer custom cuts, hole threading, colors and many options. Fun to draw up plans and dream.

My 14X17 will be used mostly in studio with X-Ray film. However, I now can roll a camera on dolly onto the veranda. Daylight! Yikes. Inside joke, my former studio had no windows...

I neglected to mention that Cambo's double clamp tripod mounting block -- they're offered here and on ebay from time to time -- is intended to be used to connect two rails to make a longer one.

Randy, you're right that 80/20 offers all sorts of good stuff from the factory. I buy my, um, plain vanilla bits from their surplus division through Amazon, less expensive than non-surplus from the factory. Whether this makes sense depends on what's needed.

Randy, take a look at my Bertha article. In particular, pay attention the the lab jack that supports the camera module. One might do well for propping up y'r monster lens.

Dan, I don't need to go look for your Bertha, I have it memorized!

I might add that I once assembled a long Horseman from 2 Horseman sliding rails joined by a Horseman connecting plate. One tripod.

I did the same with Sinar P, 2 tripods, 2 tripod mounts.

Both 8X10. I sold most Sinar after that.

I just looked for pics I may have shot of the setups. Nada...

Hi everyone!

Sorry for my slow reply!

Randy Moe, wow, I've only worked with extruded aluminum once, back a while ago our highschools robotics team.
    I'd love to see some photos of your build when it's done! Thank you! Yep, would like to get close to 1:1 head shots.

Hi, Pere Casals, thanks, things look promising!

Howdy Greg, Thank you! I'm in contact with him about building at 16x20 from a smaller camera's parts!
    I also think double rail makes sense help keep the future camera up right/vertical.

Hi Dan Fromm , Oh I see now... the 8020 extruded aluminum is the same square dimensions as a combo's square rails.... great, thank you!
    Cambo seems like a good idea then... I'm in contact with another member who is building a carbon fiber tubing, dual rail ULF camera.
    I think either way would be great! Interesting big bertha build!

B.S.Kumar, wow, thanks for that information... I didn't think a head on height alignment! Thanks again!